There’s nothing better than a frosty cocktail on a hot day and this easy Watermelon Margarita recipe is the ultimate refreshing drink.
Table of Contents
You only need a handful of ingredients for this easy watermelon margarita recipe. Tequila, of course, along with Cointreau or Triple Sec, fresh watermelon and lime juice are all that’s needed. Depending on the sweetness of your watermelon, you might need a splash of simple syrup or a squeeze of agave. A salted rim is a classic and to me, a non-negotiable, but totally optional if you’re not a fan.
- Tequila. Use the best quality tequila you can find. I like using Herradura Silver tequila.
- Cointreau. Triple Sec or any orange liqueur can be substituted.
- Fresh watermelon. Using a ripe, in-season watermelon ensures the best flavor. You want to use a super sweet, juicy watermelon for this recipe. Fresh watermelon juice can be substituted.
- Fresh lime juice.
- Sugar. Agave can be substituted.
- Salt, for rims.
How to make a Watermelon Margarita
- Make the simple syrup: Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook until the sugar has dissolved then remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. The simple syrup can be kept in the fridge for up to a month in a sealed jar.
- Make the margaritas: Combine the cubed watermelon, tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and simply syrup in a blender then blend until smooth. If you’d prefer to get rid of the pulp, strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a serving jug. If you’re using watermelon juice, combine all the ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker and shake until combined.
- Serve: Dip the rims of serving glasses into lime juice and then into salt sprinkled onto a small plate. Fill the prepared glasses with ice then pour over the Margarita mix. Garnish with a lime wedge and serve.
- Make ahead tip: Make this mixture a day in advance and keep chilled in the fridge until ready to serve.
How to make frozen margaritas
Freeze the watermelon cubes then blend with ice and the rest of the ingredients to make frozen margaritas.
Can I make this a virgin cocktail?
Absolutely! Simply omit the tequila and Cointreau and add ¼ cup orange juice and half cup water before blending.
- Fresh pineapple and passionfruit mojito
- Watermelon frozen gin and tonic
- Gin cocktail with lemon and honey cordial
Easy Watermelon Margaritas
- ½ cup tequila
- ¼ cup Cointreau
- 5 cups watermelon cubed
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- ¼-½ cup simple syrup to taste
- salt for rims
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until the sugar has dissolved then remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. The simple syrup can be kept in the fridge for up to a month in a sealed jar.
- Combine the cubed watermelon, tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and simple syrup in a blender then blend until smooth.
- Dip the rims of serving glasses into lime juice and then into salt. Fill the glasses with ice then pour over the Margarita mix.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and serve.