Gin and tonic made with fresh, frozen watermelon is the perfect cocktail on hot summer days. It’s also great for serving a crowd.
Frozen cocktails are by far the best cocktails to serve when it’s hot out and using beautiful fresh watermelon is a celebration of summer. Using frozen watermelon allows even more flavor as there is no need to add ice, which will dilute the cocktail. Use any gin you have but something infused with berries, rose or cucumber will work exceptionally well here.
How to make a frozen gin and tonic
- Prepare the watermelon: Slice the rind off of fresh watermelon then cut into cubes. Place the watermelon onto a freezer-proof sheet/tray. Place in the freezer until the watermelon is frozen (at least 3 hours). Transfer the watermelon to a freezer-proof container and keep in the freezer until you’re ready to make the gin and tonic.
- Make the gin and tonic: Blend the frozen watermelon with gin, tonic water, lemon juice until smooth and the texture of a slushy. Serve with fresh mint and a watermelon wedge.
Can I make this with other fruit?
Yes absolutely! Frozen berries and stone fruit will be amazing used in this gin and tonic recipe. Raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches, plums, apricots and cherries will all be delicious.
Can I make cocktail this ahead?
The watermelon can be frozen for 3 months but the blended cocktail can be kept in the freezer for up to 30 minutes before serving.
Gin cocktail recipes
Cocktails for a crowd
- Jalapeño Margarita slushies
- Fresh pineapple and passionfruit mojito
- Passionfruit & ginger cocktail
- Easy Margaritas for a crowd
- Cherry pomegranate white sangria
Watermelon frozen gin and tonic
- 6 cups frozen watermelon cubes
- 1 cup gin
- 500 ml (2 cups / 17oz) tonic water
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- fresh mint to serve
- watermelon wedges to serve
- To freeze the watermelon: Slice the skin off fersh watermelon then cube. Place the watermelon in an even layer on a freezer-proof tray and place in the freezer until frozen.
- To make the frozen gin and tonic, place the frozen watermelon, gin, tonic water and lemon juice in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and serve with fresh mint and a watermelon wedge.