Cheesy baked orzo with fresh tomatoes and basil is super simple to make and just delicious for a weeknight dinner.
Table of Contents
- Tomatoes: I used cherry tomatoes but any tomatoes can be used. Canned cherry tomatoes can be substituted.
- Olive oil.
- Balsamic vinegar.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Orzo. Any pasta rice can be used.
- Fresh basil.
- Stock/broth. Use vegetable stock if you are vegetarian but chicken broth can be used too.
- Heavy cream/whipping cream.
- Mozzarella. I used both low moisture mozzarella and fresh buffalo mozzarella.
How to make baked orzo
This is such a great weeknight dinner recipe as it requires only one baking dish and very minimal prep. In an ovenproof dish, combine the tomatoes, garlic, a splash of Balsamic vinegar, a few tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper then toss to combine. Roast in a hot oven for 10 minutes then add the fresh sliced basil, orzo pasta and stock. Bake for another 10 minutes then pour in the cream and add the mozzarella. Bake for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese has melted then serve.
Can I make this ahead?
This dish is definitely best made and served immediately but leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave until hot throughout.
What to serve with baked orzo
I usually just serve this orzo bake on its own as a simple dinner but adding a big crunchy salad or a side of sautéed broccoli is a nice idea.
- One Pan Creamy Artichoke Orzo with Chicken
- Easy lemon orzo salad
- Creamy Cacio e Pepe Orzo with Rosemary Chicken
- 500 g (1lb) tomatoes I used fresh cherry tomatoes but canned can be used too
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 fresh garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 500 g (1lb) orzo Other pasta rice can be substituted
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 4 cups stock/broth
- 1 cup heavy cream/whipping cream.
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella optional
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- In a baking dish, combine the tomatoes, olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bake the tomatoes for 10 minutes until they're starting to burst.
- Add the fresh basil and orzo then pour in the stock/broth. Place back into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and pour in the cream then stir through the orzo and add the mozzarella.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese has melted and the orzo is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve.