Rainbow Asian noodle salad with peanut ginger dressing
This salad. You guys, there are almost no words. Crunchy, creamy, a little spicy and all kinds of fresh. Man, it’s just too good to be true.
I realised the other day that there are so many dishes I cook regularly that never get their moment in the spotlight on the blog. They are often super simple things that I just throw together but feel are too “everyday” for the blog. Which is really dumb because this blog is all about everyday food and simple deliciousness. So, I decided to photograph this beloved salad of mine and share it with all of you because I can guarantee you, this is a goodie. It’s the salad I take to a braai (barbecue) when I’m asked to bring a “different” salad, it’s the salad I make when I am too lazy to make more than one side dish for dinner and it’s the salad I have for lunch like, all the time.
And lately, it’s come in handy because I can make a big bowl at the beginning of the week and eat it throughout the week. And I need quick and easy right now because we are living and working between boxes. Half of my prop cupboard has been packed up, my shoes have been boxed (I am currently rotating between 3 pairs) and the rest is all ready and waiting to be thrown into boxes. We are around 10 days away from moving and I am floating between extreme joy and extreme fear. I never believed people when they said moving was one of the most stressful things you can do. Moving into your first home is even more stressful. And between now and our moving date, we need to pack up the rest of our current place, paint the interior walls, sand down the kitchen cupboards and re-paint them. No big deal. Oh, AND we just got a new puppy. So that was clever. *Insert hysterical, panic-driven laughter here* (Kitchen make-over & puppy photos to be shared soon.)
So it’s safe to say, the last thing I need to stress about right now is food. I want to eat delicious food but I don’t want to spend more than a few minutes putting it together. Last night I knocked together a big bowl of this salad and served it with sticky glazed pork fillet. It made for a delicious, filling meal and that was just what I needed. And so, I leave you with the recipe while I go play with the puppy/pack a box/sand down cupboards. Wish me luck!
Asian noodle salad with peanut ginger dressing
- 4 cups cooked egg noodles cooled
- 1 red yellow and green pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 4 spring onions sliced
- 1 large carrot julienned
- 2 cups sugar snap peas julienned
- 1 baby red cabbage thinly sliced
- large handful fresh mint leaves
- large handful fresh coriander
- optional extras: bean sprouts broccoli, green beans, spinach leaves
for the dressing
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed ginger to taste
- 1 teaspoon chilli oil optional
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine all the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- (This salad can be made and kept covered in the fridge, undressed, for 3-5 days)