This smoked salmon pasta recipe is creamy, delicious and as perfect for an easy weeknight dinner as it will be served at a dinner party.
Table of Contents
- Smoked salmon. I used cold-smoked salmon but hot-smoked salmon can be used too. This is a great recipe if you have any smoked salmon off-cuts you want to use.
- Butter. Olive oil can be used too.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Heavy cream. Using heavy whipping cream will give you a velvety, rich sauce but you can use Greek yogurt for a lighter sauce (just don’t boil it as it can split) or cream cheese for a much richer, thicker sauce.
- Lemon juice.
- Fresh dill. Other herbs like chives and parsley can be used too.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Pasta. I used tagliatelle but any long pasta like linguine/spaghetti shape will work.
How to make smoked salmon pasta
To make the pasta sauce, melt the butter in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute then pour in the cream. Bring to a simmer then add the lemon juice and fresh dill. Cook for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Chop the salmon into bite size pieces then stir into the sauce. Cook for another minute then season with salt and pepper. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil then add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve a cup of pasta water then drain the pasta. Toss the pasta with a sauce, adding a few tablespoons of cooking water then serve.
Can I make this ahead?
This pasta dish is definitely best served immediately after cooking but the leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated gently with a splash of water until hot.
Cold smoked salmon is delicious served cold but adding slices of salmon to a creamy sauce and allowing to just warm through makes a delicious pasta sauce.
Smoked salmon recipes
Smoked salmon pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 100 g (3oz) smoked salmon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 500 g (1lb) pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil then add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Reserve a cup of pasta cooking water and drain the pasta.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat then add the minced garlic. Cook for 30 seconds then pour in the cream.
- Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 5 minutes then pour in the lemon juice. Cook for another minute or two.
- Slice the salmon into bite-size pieces then stir into the sauce and allow to warm through for a minute.
- Season to taste then toss the sauce with the cooked pasta and a few tablespoons of pasta water. Serve.