Smoked salmon chive devilled eggs are the perfect easy gluten free and low carb appetizer. Make them ahead for effortless entertaining.
Growing up, devilled eggs were a part of every occasion. From birthdays, to Christmas to baby showers, my mom, aunt and ouma would boil and stuff eggs every time we had something to celebrate. And even when we didn’t. I will never forget how my ouma would pack us a cooler bag filled with food for any road trip. Small meatballs, sandwiches with the crusts cut off and devilled eggs were always on the menu.
But the filling she used was always very simple and just consisted of the egg yolk, mayonnaise and seasoning. I like to add a little more jazz hands to my devilled eggs by adding smoked salmon, cream cheese and chives, making it even more perfect for the festive season.
How do you make devilled eggs step by step?
- Boil extra-large eggs for 7-8 minutes until they’re hardboiled with yolks that are still creamy.
- Peel the eggs and allow to cool. Slice them in half and gently scoop out the yolks.
- Combine the yolks, mayonnaise, cream cheese, smoked salmon and seasoning in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Alternatively, mash the egg yolks with a fork and mix with the remaining ingredients. Simply chop the chives and smoked salmon very finely.
- Scoop the filling back into the eggs then garnish with smoked salmon, chives and smoked paprika.
Make devilled eggs up to 2 days in advance by following the instructions up to assembly. Keep the whites and egg yolk filling separate in sealed containers in the fridge and assemble up to an hour ahead of serving.
How do you boil the perfect eggs for deviled eggs?
You want eggs that are perfectly hard boiled with creamy, set yolks. Bring a pot of water to a gentle boil and add the eggs. Boil for 7-8 minutes (depending on egg size) then remove and immediately place in an ice bath to stop cooking. Gently crack the shell then roll on your kitchen counter to loosen the shell before peeling.
How do you transport devilled eggs?
If you’re taking devilled eggs to a gathering, place two layers of kitchen towel in an airtight container big enough to store all the eggs in a single layer then tightly pack the devilled eggs into the container to prevent them from moving around. Alternatively, use muffin trays and place an egg in each hollow then cover with plastic wrap and foil.
Easy appetizer recipes
Smoked salmon chive devilled eggs
- 8 extra large eggs
for the filling
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 100 g smoked salmon approximately 3,5oz + extra for garnish
- 2 tbsp chives finely chopped + extra for garnish
- ½ tsp smoked paprika + extra for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice or to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a gentle boil then add the eggs. Boil for 7-8 minutes (I used extra-large eggs and boiled them for 8 minutes).
- Remove from the water and place in an ice bath to stop cooking and cool them down.
- When the eggs have cooled, crack the shells then roll on a kitchen counter to loosen the shells. Peel the shells and discard.
- Halve the eggs and gently scoop out the yolks with a teaspoon.
- Place the yolks in the bowl of a food processor with the filling ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Scoop the filling back into the eggs then garnish with a slither of smoked salmon, chopped chives and paprika and serve.