Creamy smoked salmon dip with dill, chives and fresh lemon is the perfect appetizer served with crackers or crusty bread.
Table of Contents
- Smoked salmon. Use cold smoked salmon for this smoked salmon dip recipe. Trout can also be substituted.
- Cream cheese.
- Sour cream.
- Mayonnaise. I used Hellmann’s but any mayo will work.
- Fresh dill.
- Fresh chives. Green onions or spring onions can also be used.
- Lemon juice. You could add lemon zest too for more of a lemony kick.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to make smoked salmon dip
- Blend: In the bowl of a food processor, add the smoked salmon, room temperature cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise. Chop the chives and dill and add to the bowl with a few tablespoons of lemon juice, salt and pepper. Start with a small pinch of salt and adjust seasoning once blended. Pulse until the dip is the consistency of your choice. I prefer keeping it a little textured and not completely smooth. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl of your choice (and cover with plastic wrap) or an airtight container and chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes but up to 2 days.
- Serve: When ready to serve, garnish the dip with a few sprigs of fresh dill and serve with lemon wedges and crackers of your choice.
Can I freeze smoked salmon dip?
I wouldn’t recommend freezing this dip. Once thawed the dip could be curdled and split. You could make this dip up to two days ahead and keep it covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
What to serve with smoked salmon dip
I love serving it with seedy crackers as pictured or bagel chips but fresh baguettes will also be delicious. It will also be a great on fresh bagels with capers for a twist on bagels and lox.
Creamy Smoked Salmon Dip
- 200 g (7oz) smoked salmon
- 200 g (7oz) cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 tsp fresh chives
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the smoked salmon, room temperature cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise.
- Chop the chives and dill and add to the bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice and salt and pepper. Start with a small pinch of salt and adjust seasoning once blended.
- Blend until the dip is the consistency of your choice.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl of your choice then scatter of fresh dill and serve with lemon wedges and crackers of your choice.