The easiest sour cream and onion dip recipe delivers creamy dip that is perfect served with chips or crudités for an easy appetizer.
Table of Contents
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Sour cream. For a lighter version, substitute half of the sour cream with Greek yogurt. A few tablespoons of cream cheese can be added for a richer dip.
- Fresh chives. Other herbs like oregano, basil and parsley can also be used.
- Garlic powder.
- Onion powder. Dried onion flakes also work well and add some texture to the dip.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Fresh lemon juice.
How to make sour cream and onion dip
Making your own sour cream and onion dip at home couldn’t be easier. I love this no-cook version so no need to chops and sauté yellow onions or make caramelized onions like you would for French onion dip. Simply add sour cream to a medium mixing bowl then add the finely chopped chives and spices. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add a squeeze of lemon juice then stir together. Garnish with chopped chives (or other fresh herbs of your choice) then serve.
Can I make this ahead?
Yes, this dip keeps very well in the fridge. You can make it up to 3 days in advance and keep it in an airtight container until you’re ready to serve.
This dip is absolutely delicious served with potato chips, pita chips, pretzels or a platter of veggie crudités (carrots, sugar snap peas, green beans, celery, bell peppers, cucumber, etc.). It will also make an excellent addition to my chips and dip platter which is the perfect game day snack/appetizer.
Sour cream and onion dip consists of sour cream, fresh chives, a teaspoon onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
French onion dip is made with caramelized onions while sour cream onion dip is made with onion powder and fresh chives to give a delicious onion flavor.
Yes, mayo can be substituted. I would suggest using half mayo and half sour cream for that signature sour cream flavor.
Easy dip recipes
Sour Cream and Onion Dip
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2-3 tbsp fresh chives finely chopped
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- Add the sour cream to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped chives, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper then add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Stir well then serve with potato chips or crudités.