This roasted garlic olive oil bread dip is a fantastic, easy appetizer. Perfect for when you need to feed a crowd or need a delicious snack.
Table of Contents
- Fresh Garlic. Use whole heads of garlic.
- Extra-virgin Olive oil.
- Chilli flakes/red pepper flakes.
- Oregano. Other dried herbs like thyme, rosemary, parsley, sage or basil will also work to add flavor. If you’d like to use fresh herbs, stir them in right before serving.
- Lemon juice. White Balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar can be substituted.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to make olive oil dip for bread
Olive oil dip is probably the easiest dip you can make. The roasted garlic takes a little time in the oven but all in all, you’ll be busy in the kitchen no more than 10-15 minutes. Mash the soft, sweet roasted garlic into a small bowl then combine with herbs and seasoning of your choice, good quality olive oil and lemon juice. I like using oregano and chilli flakes but dried thyme, rosemary or sage will all be delicious. Spices like sumac, lemon pepper and smoked paprika will also work well. Parmesan cheese can also be stirred in right before serving. I like using lemon juice because to me it is the perfect match for garlic but you could use Balsamic vinegar too. This is the place to use your good olive oil so don’t hold back!
Can I make olive oil dip ahead?
Yes, this dip can be made up to a week ahead. Keep it covered in the fridge, just allow to come back up to room temperature before serving. The roasted garlic can be made and kept in the fridge for up to a week before making the dip.
What bread to serve with olive oil dip?
Crusty bread is the obvious choice here. The bread is simply a vehicle but the best bread to use would be something crusty like sourdough, ciabatta, French baguette or fresh baked focaccia.
Easy dip recipes
Roasted garlic olive oil bread dip
For the roasted garlic
- 1 head of garlic halved
- 2 tsp olive oil
For the olive oil dip
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2-3 tsp lemon juice to taste
- 2 tsp dried oregano (rosemary, thyme or sage will also be delicious)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes / red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- bread for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Place the halved head of garlic on a piece of foil then drizzle over the two teaspoons of oil and season with salt. Wrap in the foil, making sure the garlic is completely enclosed.
- Place in the oven and allow to roast for 30-45 minutes or until completely soft.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the papery skins and mash into a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, herbs, chilli flakes, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix then taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve the dip with good bread.