Just imagine. You sit down for breakfast. In front of you is a stack of the most mouth-watering French toast you’ve ever laid your eyes on. You cut through the syrupy, fresh strawberries into the crisp, eggy bread. The interior is soft and custardy and just perfect. You lift your fork to your mouth and the juicy strawberries are the first thing you taste followed by delicious French toast and a subtle hint of lemon. Are you drooling yet? And if you’re not, are you even human?
I have been a fan of French toast all my love. We used to call it “Eggy bread” when I was little and I would eat it with syrup and grated cheese (don’t judge until you’ve tried it). A friend of mine used to cover hers in ketchup (this one you’re allowed to judge) and another would sprinkle hers with brown sugar. And as is often the case, the twins love it just as much which excites me because Aidan can not stand anything with egg in it.
Anyway, these just scream Summer to me and since we are experiencing colder and colder weather every day, I sometimes need to pretend it’s warm outside by cooking something that reminds me of days spent in the sun. I don’t often use strawberries in winter because they are obviously not in season then and are often very expensive and not deliciously juicy but these were and that’s why I used them. If you want you could replace them with any berry of your choice or slices of fresh banana. The lemon in the egg mixture adds a lovely pop of brightness and works so well with the rich, creamy French toast. Just the perfect breakfast. Do you love French toast? And how do you eat it?
- 4 slices thick bread
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 small punnet strawberries, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- maple syrup, to serve
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and lemon zest.
- Soak the bread in the egg mixture.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add a knob of butter/splash of oil.
- Fry the bread for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Combine the strawberries and sugar in a separate bowl and set aside.
- When the French toast is cooked, serve with the strawberries and a drizzle of maple syrup.