Easy and healthy Banana Oat pancakes

Healthy Banana Oat pancakes

Finding healthy, easy and satisfying breakfasts are always a mission for me. I am a big fan of eggs for breakfast but I get tired of it and so I often look for other ideas, but the other ideas aren’t exactly healthy. Pancakes, French Toast, waffles, Eggs Benedict…Not really ideal. So when I stumbled upon this recipe, I was incredibly chuffed. Not only does it take minutes to knock together but they’re actually delicious.

Now look, I am not a fan of flourless, sugar free pancakes. I tried making a ground almond version a while ago and was left with what tasted like a gritty egg patty. Gag. And I’ll be honest with you, these are not exactly the same as traditional pancakes but they do taste really good, especially with a drizzle of maple syrup and some fresh fruit. They taste like they’ve been made with whole wheat flour because the oats leave a bit of texture but if you’d like the texture to be smoother, simply allow it to blend a little more. I suppose you could also soak the oats before hand but oats can sometimes go a bit gummy so just be careful if you do that.

Healthy Banana Oat pancakes

All in all, a fantastic alternative to regular old pancakes filled with protein, fibre and vitamins. Win!

4.8 from 29 reviews
Easy and healthy Banana Oat pancakes

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Pancakes, Breakfast, Low Fat, Low GI, Healthy
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 2 bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup rolled oats
  • ½ teaspoon baking pwoder
  • pinch of salt
  • maple syrup, to serve (optional)
  • fresh fruit of your choice, to serve
Instructions
  1. In a blender, combine the peeled banana, eggs, oats, baking powder and salt.
  2. Allow to blend until the mixture is as smooth as you want it and blended well. Allow the batter to stand for 10-20 minutes until thickened slightly.
  3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
  4. Fry spoonfuls of the batter until golden brown on both sides.
  5. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and fresh fruit of your choice.

Previous Post
Next Post

Oh, that’s a shame! I wonder if perhaps your bananas were more watery than mine (although I seriously doubt that)? What was the texture like of the batter before frying?

• Nicole

Do you know approximately how many calories per serving?

Unfortunately not.

• Felicia

384 for 2 servings.
        192 for 1.
        Used the Myfitnesspal app 🙂

• Shelley

I made these this morning for my kids and they turned out extremely mushy and tasteless. I followed the recipe and I tried several times to see if the method I was using was wrong, but nothing worked. I am a renowned cook in my city so it was a bit disheartening…

• Shelby

I’m not sure why they were mushy and tasteless…? Perhaps you messed up somewhere along the way. In regard to the consistency I did find my batter to be a bit too runny so i just added more ground oats. I also added some vanilla and about a tablespoon of agave syrup to sweeten. Mine turned out better than i could have imagined!!! These will now be a breakfast staple in my home.

So glad you liked them Shelby! Love the idea of adding Agave!

• Loli

I added dates to the mix and flax seeds. It tastes so delicious!

Love! Glad you liked them.

• Lisa

I tried these today…I’m hooked, simple, healthy and only a few ingredients!!!

• Marree

Can these be frozen at all? Thanks.

I’ve never tried freezing them but if you do, let me know!

• Kat

They freeze really well! I make a double batch at a time and freeze them. They’re my baby’s favourite breakfast topped with yogurt! I also substitute pumpkin purée for 2 of the bananas in a double batch.

That’s great to know. And love the substitution of pumpkin!!

• Keri Bainborough

Silly question Alida- do the rolled oats needed to be soaked/cooked first?

• Tammela

Yum! I almost always make pancakes using mashed bananas. It means I don’t have to add sugar and get a health boost. Here’s my go-to recipe:

I hope you liked these Nicole!

• Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps

Intrigued! I’m trying to shed some post-vacation pounds, but my husband loves his sweet breakfasts, I need to try these!

• Pang

i usually don’t like sweet breakfast, but then I see this post, and i think “it’s pancake time” 🙂

Haha, I hope you try them Pang. Sure you’ll love them!

• Chantal Coulter

These didnt work out for me, no matter what I did they stuck…. 🙁

That’s strange. Did you use a non-stick pan? Perhaps try some non-stick spray the next time?

• Maggie

I just tried these they are amazing. I used a pancake griddle with just butter. worked perfectly

• Monica

I love this recipe. Perfect for Shrove Tuesday breakfast on a school day.