These lemongrass chilli air fryer chicken wings are absolutely addictive. Served with roasted peanuts, they are sticky, spicy and all kinds of delicious making them the perfect game day snack.
- Chicken wings.
- Fresh lemongrass.
- Fresh red chilli. I used Thai chillies but you can use any red chilli pepper.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Fresh ginger.
- Lemon juice / lime juice.
- Soy sauce. Use Tamari or Coconut Aminos if you’d prefer to keep this recipe gluten free/low carb.
- Brown sugar. Honey or maple syrup can be substituted.
How to make chicken wings in an air fryer
Blend together all the marinade ingredients in a food processor or blender. Place the chicken wings in a large bowl and pour over the marinade. Allow the wings to marinate for at least 30 minutes but ideally covered overnight in the fridge.
How long to cook chicken wings in an air fryer
To cook, place the wings in the basket of an air fryer then cook at 200ºC/390ºF for 15-20 minutes, turning half way. The chicken wings should be caramelized and cooked through. Remove from the air fryer then serve with roasted peanuts (optional), finely chopped spring onions/green onions and chopped chilli.
Can I make this ahead?
The chicken wings can be marinated for up to 2 days in an airtight container in the fridge before cooking. The marinated wings can be frozen in a sealed container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge then cook as directed. Any leftovers can also be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
What to serve with air fryer chicken wings
Chicken wings are great on their own as a snack or simple protein-rich lunch/dinner but adding side dishes makes it a delicious meal. I love serving grilled corn salad or potato salad with chicken wings and crispy potatoes are always a good idea.
- Grilled corn salad with creamy jalapeño dressing.
- Creamy potato salad with condensed milk dressing.
- Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges.
Air fryer chicken recipes
- Cilantro Lime Air Fryer Chicken Wings.
- Easy Air fryer Chicken Breast.
- Lemon Rosemary Air fryer chicken thighs.
Sticky lemongrass chilli air fryer chicken wings
- 1 kg (2lb) chicken wings
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice / lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 red chilli
- 1 stalk lemon grass roughly chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 cup peanuts roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli finely chopped (optional)
- ½ cup spring onion/green onion finely chopped
- Combine the oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, chilli and lemongrass in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt.
- Place the chicken wings in a large bowl then pour over the marinade. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes but ideally overnight in the fridge.
- To cook, place the chicken wings in a single layer in the basket of an air fryer.
- Cook at 200°C/390°F for 15-20 minutes, turning over half way, until the wings are caramelized and cooked through.
- While the chicken wings are cooking, toast or roast the peanuts in a hot pan/hot oven for 5 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- To serve, top the chicken wings with the peanuts, finely chopped chillies and spring onion/green onion.
Hi Alida! I love your recipes and look forward to them arriving daily… This one looks amazing, but I don’t have an air fryer (nor do I have room in my small kitchen for one…) – how long would I need to cook these in a traditional oven?
Many thanks…and a very Happy New Year to you!
20-25 minutes 🙂