Easy-Peasy chicken strips with smoky dipping sauce
Let’s face it, getting your kids to eat healthy is just not possible all the time. More often than not they are going to prefer a burger or a chicken nugget over the nutritious meal you’ve prepared and that is both infuriating and discouraging. I know. I’ve been there. You spend time slaving over pots and pans cooking good food stuffed with vegetables and other necessities and they just turn their noses up at it. Sigh.
That’s why sometimes it’s just easier to give in and give them the burgers and the chicken nuggets. But on your terms. Making “junk food” yourself takes the junk right out. You know what’s going into that burger because you’ve made it. You know there’s no pink sludge in those chicken nuggets because you cut the fresh chicken yourself. And believe me, kids lap it up. They think you are the coolest mom for giving them chicken nuggets (or in this instance, strips) for dinner. I’ve also found that if you give them something like these (incredibly delicious) chicken strips for dinner, they’re more likely to eat the salad/peas/carrots/insert-whichever-other-vegetable-you-want-them-to-eat-here. It’s a win-win for all. Oh, also, these really are so good, I ate an entire plate-full myself for dinner when I made them. I mean, why should the kids have all the fun?
- skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 250ml (1 cup) flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 packets Knorr Crispy & Tasty Chicken Coating
- 1 litre sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 250ml (1 cup) tomato sauce
- 1.25ml (1/4 tsp) smoked paprika
- juice of half a lemon
- Slice the chicken into strips.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan.
- Place the flour, eggs and crumb coating in three separate bowls.
- Coat the chicken strips first in the flour, then in the egg and finally in the crumb coating.
- When the oil is hot, fry the chicken until golden brown, crisp and cooked through.
- Remove from the oil and allow to drain on kitchen paper.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine the tomato sauce, smoked paprika and lemon juice.
- Serve the chicken strips hot with the smoky tomato dipping sauce.