Crispy oven baked fries are so easy and delicious served with creamy fry sauce. The perfect side dish or gluten-free snack.
I have been making this oven baked fries recipe for as long as I can remember. We are big potato lovers and none of us can say no to French fries. So when my kids as for fries, this is the version they get. Not only is it so much easier to bake fries in the oven until crisp and golden, it’s also healthier because there isn’t so much oil involved. I also don’t bother peeling the potatoes because honestly, who has the time?
And what’s better to serve with crispy, crunchy French fries than creamy fry sauce? My kids think I’m a culinary genius when I serve this sauce with fries, nuggets or potato wedges but honestly, it can’t be easier to throw together. This makes a great vegetarian, gluten-free afternoon snack for kids coming home from school and is perfect as an easy side dish.
How do you make french fries crispy in the oven?
Slice large potatoes into fries then toss with vegetable oil (I used canola) and salt. Spread onto a baking sheet and bake at 200ºC/390ºF until crisp and golden. I give them a flip half way through to make sure they all crisp evenly.
Should you soak potatoes before baking fries?
You can but it’s not necessary. I haven’t found the difference to be worth the extra step.
How long does it take to cook french fries in the oven?
At 200ºC/390ºF, fries will bake for approximately 45 minutes – 1 hour. They will be crisp and golden on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
How do you make fry sauce?
The beauty of fry sauce is that you can adjust it to your own/your family’s tastes. I mix mayonnaise, ketchup, a few shakes of Tobasco and pickle juice together and adjust the amounts until I’m happy with the finished product.
How long does fry sauce last?
At least a week if kept in a sealed container in the fridge.
Easy oven baked fries
- 4 large potatoes sliced into fries
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp salt
For the fry sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Tobasco (optional)
- 2-3 tsp pickle juice (add a teaspoon at a time, taste and adjust)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF.
- Toss the sliced potatoes with the oil and salt. Spread the fries onto a large baking pan/sheet in a single layer and place into the oven.
- Allow to bake for 20-30 minutes then flip and continue to bake for another 20-30 minutes or until the fries are golden brown and crisp all around.
- In the meantime, combine all the ingredients for the fry sauce and mix well.
- When the fries are baked, remove from the oven and serve with the fry sauce.