Potato wedges are a classic side dish and this baked spicy garlic version is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Perfect for busy weeknights or casual entertaining.
Potato wedges are the king of all simple side dishes in my opinion. Not only are they a guaranteed hit every time I make them, they’re also easy and quite versatile. I love using garlic powder, chilli flakes and herbs to season potato wedges but any herbs and spices will work.
Baked wedges are the perfect side dish for burgers, sandwiches, roast and grilled meat and chicken. They’re also a pretty perfect easy snack recipe served with ketchup and makes a great lunch when you don’t have much in the house. What I love so much about wedges is that I kind of get the satisfaction of eating fries with none of the guilt. Ok, who am I kidding, I feel no guilt when eating fries BUT wedges are definitely a little healthier.. I also always leave the skins on because I seriously love their flavour (and of course, all those nutrients) but if you prefer, feel free to peel the potatoes first.
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Potatoes. I like to use starchy/baking potatoes. The varieties will depend on where you live but Russet, Maris Piper and King Edward are good options. The packaging will most likely say “baking/roasting potato”. Waxy potatoes are also fine but I prefer a potato that will have a fluffier interior once baked.
- Olive oil.
- Italian seasoning / herbs.
- Garlic powder.
- Smoked paprika.
- Chilli flakes / red pepper flakes.
- Salt and pepper.
How to cut potato wedges
Place the potato on a cutting board in front of you and with a sharp knife, slice down onto the potato cutting it in half, lengthwise. Take each half and slice into 4 wedges from the center point. So easy!
Potato wedges seasoning
This seasoning for potato wedges is one I’ve loved for quite a while now and goes so well with the flavor of the potatoes. Of course, feel free to add or leave out what you feel would suit your tastes best. But as you’ll know if you’ve been reading this blog for a while, I love anything spicy. Garlic powder, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika and Italian herbs will make these potato wedges a hit with whoever you share them with. Guaranteed.
How long to bake potato wedges
In a 200°C/390°F preheated oven, potato wedges will take approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour to bake. You want the edges to be crisp and golden brown and the interior to be soft and fluffy.
What to serve with baked wedges
- Twice baked potatoes
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy oven baked fries
- Creamy potato salad
Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges
- 6 medium potatoes sliced into wedges
- 2-3 tablespoons olive/vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½-1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/390°F.
- Place the potato wedges in a large bowl and add the oil, spices and seasonings.
- Mix well, ensuring each potato wedge is covered with the herbs and spices.
- Transfer to a greased/non-stick baking sheet in a single layer and place in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour until the potatoes are cooked through and crispy on the outside. Flip halfway into the cooking time to ensure even browning.
- Remove from the oven, scatter over the chopped parsley (optional) and serve.