Juicy cheeseburgers are a crowd favourite and topped with a crispy hash brown and pickled jalapeños, they are taken to a new level. Yes please!
Listen up! Today we are discussing why everything is made better when topped with a crispy hash brown. Because would you just look at that golden crunchiness? I mean. Now I know that there’s nothing wrong with a classic cheeseburger. We all know it. We all love it. But every now and then we want something a little extra, don’t we? We want crunch and spice and everything nice. And I can guarantee that a crispy hash brown and pickled jalapeños make this cheeseburgers infinitely better.
The key to a really good hash brown is to rinse grated potatoes until the water runs clear. This gets rid of any excess starch which could add a gluey texture to the finished hash brown. Dry the potatoes well and then mix with a little flour to bind them, a pinch of salt and pepper and that’s it. No egg necessary. Fry in really hot oil until golden brown and crisp and you’re done. It couldn’t be easier and believe me, it makes all the difference on these cheeseburgers.
But I’m not the only one with clever burger ideas (if I do say so myself). My friend Rebecca from Displaced Housewife came up with unbelievable Burrata caprese burgers and can we just all take a moment to appreciate their beauty? I love everything about Rebecca’s blog. I first came across her blog on Instagram and then started following her on Snapchat and not only is she hilarious and has a garden to swoon over (serious greenfinger envy!), this chick knows how to cook. Her blog is filled with fantastic recipes for to-die-for cookies, delicious looking sandwiches and a breakfast nacho recipe that is very high-up on my to-do list. I’m so pleased that she agreed to be part of this blogger collaboration I started because I am completely obsessed with her and her blog.
If you are a blogger and would like to get involved in the Blogger Collaboration, please comment below. Would love to hear from you.
- 500g beef mince/ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- sesame buns, toasted
- sliced tomato
- sliced cheese
- pickled jalapeños
- To make the patties, combine all the ingredients and mix well. Form 4 patties and chill, wrapped, for 20 minutes.
- To make the hash browns, grate the potatoes then rinse until water runs clear. Place the grated potato in a clean tea towel and squeeze dry. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cook the burgers in a hot griddle pan until cooked to your preference.
- Heat ½ cup vegetable oil in a pan and fry spoonfuls of the hash brown mixture until golden brown and crisp on both sides. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Top the cooked patties with sliced cheese and a hash brown then assemble burgers, adding the toppings of your choice.
- Serve immediately.