How to make easy roasted tomato sauce
This easy roasted tomato sauce recipe is the perfect way to preserve flavourful tomatoes into a versatile, delicious sauce.
So here’s the deal with this easy roasted tomato sauce recipe. I use it at least 3 times a week in my kitchen. Whether it’s on pizza, in pasta or as a dipping sauce, this roasted tomato sauce recipe is one of the most versatile recipes in my repertoire.
I started making this sauce a little more than a year ago when I bought a giant box of perfectly ripe tomatoes from a market. I knew many of them would be enjoyed as is with copious amounts of salt and others would be turned into a classic Caprese salad. But I knew I would have to preserve most of them in a delicious sauce. I absolutely love the flavour of roasted tomatoes so I started there and kind of just added the flavours I know work best with tomatoes.
I use rosemary, thyme, garlic and chilli to flavour my tomato sauce but you could use any herbs you wish. The chilli just adds a hum of warmth but feel free to add more or less depending on your own preference. The roasted tomatoes are stirred into a base of soft, sweet onions, smokey paprika and some more herbs and then cooked until thick. I blend mine before freezing it in ziploc baggies to give me the most versatility but you could totally leave it rustic and chunky which makes it the perfect simple pasta sauce.
This is one of those trustworthy recipes that are great to have on stand-by and it also happens to be the reason why Friday night is almost always pizza night at Casa Ryder because it takes me all of 10 minutes (once defrosted, obviously) to throw together awesome pizzas when I have this sauce and a few balls of dough waiting for me in the freezer. Roasted tomato sauce for all!
- 2kg (approximately 4lb) ripe tomatoes (I use a mixture and like to roast them with the vines)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- small handful fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes/red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika (to taste)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- ½-1 cup vegetable stock
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC.
- Place the tomatoes in a roasting tray then add the olive oil and flavourings.
- Mix to combine.
- Place in the oven and allow to roast for 30-45 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and starting to char.
- Remove and set aside.
- Heat a splash of oil in a deep pot then add the onion and allow to soften for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic and allow to saute for a minute before adding the herbs, spices and roasted tomatoes.
- Add the sugar (if using) then pour in the stock.
- Turn the heat down and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- At this point you can keep the sauce rustic and chunky and freeze in ziploc bags or keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Alternatively, blend until as smooth as you prefer and then freeze/keep in the fridge.