Lemon chicken & asparagus pasta
Zesty lemon chicken and asparagus linguini is a lovely easy, springtime recipe making the most of asparagus when it is in season
This is one of my favourite pastas to cook during summer when asparagus is available in abundance. It also helps that it can be made from prep to plate in under 30 minutes because the sauce gets made while you’re waiting for the pasta water to come up to a boil.
I know many people don’t like asparagus but broccolini, sugar snap peas or green beans can all be used instead of it. I do however think that asparagus, lemon and chicken are a match made in heaven and this sauce is just delectable. A squeeze of lemon, a pinch of salt, the delectable way the cream soothes everything as it gets poured in. It’s the small things in life that makes me happiest.
- 2 large chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100ml chicken stock
- 100ml cream
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 200g asparagus, washed and woody ends snapped off
- salt & pepper to taste
- 500g linguini/ long pasta of your choice
- fresh Parmesan, to serve
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil for the pasta.
- In a saucepan, sauté the chicken in olive oil until golden and cooked through. Add the garlic, chicken stock, cream and allow to simmer gently.
- Chop the asparagus stalks and slice the heads in half.
- By this time, the water for the pasta should be boiling, add the pasta to the water and allow to cook.
- Add the lemon juice and the asparagus to the sauce and allow to cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste and remove from the heat.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and toss with the sauce.
- Serve with extra lemon and a grating of Parmesan.