Creamy spinach garlic Parmesan chicken is a delicious, fast and easy dinner recipe. Perfect served over pasta or with a simple side salad.
- Chicken breasts. I used skinless, boneless chicken breasts but boneless chicken thighs can also be used.
- Olive oil and butter.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Cream. Heavy cream or whipping cream.
- Sour cream.
- Lemon juice.
- Parmesan cheese. Pecorino or Grana Padano can also be used.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make creamy garlic Parmesan chicken
- Prepare the chicken: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment paper. Thin out with a meat mallet or a rolling pin (to approximately 1cm/½ an inch). Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Drizzle a few teaspoons of oil over each piece of chicken then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken: Heat a large skillet or pan over medium high heat then brown the chicken for 5-6 minutes per side. Remove the chicken breast from the pan and set aside.
- Make the creamy spinach sauce: Melt a tablespoon of butter to the pan then add the chopped onions and garlic to the pan and allow to cook until soft and translucent. Add the spinach and allow to wilt. Pour in the cream, sour cream and lemon juice then season with salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes then add the Parmesan and chicken back into the sauce and simmer gently for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Chicken is cooked when the internal temperature reads 75°C (165 degrees fahrenheit) on a meat thermometer.
Can you freeze creamy sauces?
Cream sauces have a tendency to split or change texture when frozen and thawed so its best not to freeze creamy sauces. They can however be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days and gently reheated over low heat.
How to make creamy sauces with milk
Replace cream in a recipe with 1 cup of milk mixed with 1 teaspoon of corn starch. Allow the sauce to simmer for at least 7-10 minutes for the corn starch to cook through and thicken the sauce.
What to serve garlic Parmesan chicken
This creamy chicken is perfect served over cooked spaghetti (or any pasta of your choice) or mashed potatoes. Spaghetti squash is a great low carb option. I also love adding a simple vegetable side dish like sautéed green beans, mushrooms or zucchini.
- Cooked pasta or rice.
- Creamy mashed potatoes
- Bacon garlic sauteed green beans
- Easy Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms
Creamy chicken recipes
- Creamy broccoli chicken gnocchi soup
- Easy creamy mushroom chicken
- Creamy bacon and mushroom chicken breasts
- Creamy dijon chicken
Creamy spinach garlic Parmesan chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves crushed (amount depends on how strong the cloves you are using are)
- 6 cups (approximately 200g/7 oz) baby spinach washed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup cream heavy or whipping cream
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts between two sheet of parchment paper and thin out with a meat mallet or a rolling pin. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken in a large pan or skillet for 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Pour in the cream, sour cream and lemon juice. Season to taste. Allow the sauce to simmer for 5-7 minutes until thickened then add the Parmesan and chicken back to the sauce.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve with pasta or rice.
Cream??? What kind of cream?
Cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, Hall and half cream???? Specify you have beginners trying to learn new simple recipes!!!
As you can see in the ingredients list, I mention heavy cream or whipping cream. You could use half and half but the sauce won’t be as rich and silky.
Really delicious and easy! I ketofied mine by skipping the onion and swirling in a chicken bouillon cube for flavour. Then I tossed in a handful of mushrooms and served over cauliflower mash. Thanks so much!
Very delicious! Thanks Alida.
Soo delicious and easy!
So happy you enjoyed it Wendy!
Going to make it for our quarantine cooking class Weds!
Jenelle Jerissa John
Made this for supper as its so easy and quick, The flavour was delicious !My husband was licking the plate 🙂
Thanks so much Alida, Your recipes are so easy, simple yet sublime !
Thanks so much Jenelle!
Made this for dinner tonight…..delicious!!
Empty plates all round. Thanks for the recipe.
That’s great to hear, thanks Suzanne!