Creamy spinach garlic Parmesan chicken is a delicious, fast and easy dinner recipe. Perfect served over pasta or with a simple side salad.
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken breasts. Boneless thighs can also be used.
- Cream. Heavy/whipping cream.
- Sour cream.
- Lemon juice.
- Parmesan cheese. Pecorino or Grana Padano can also be used.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make creamy garlic Parmesan chicken
- Prepare the chicken: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment paper. Thin out with a meat mallet or a rolling pin (to approximately 1cm/½ an inch). Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken: Heat a large pan or skillet over medium high heat then brown the chicken for 5-6 minutes per side. Remove the chicken breast from the pan and set aside.
- Make the creamy spinach sauce: Add the chopped onions and garlic to the pan and allow to cook until soft and translucent. Add the spinach and allow to wilt. Pour in the cream, sour cream and lemon juice then season with salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes then add the Parmesan and chicken back into the sauce and simmer gently for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Chicken is cooked when the internal temperature reads 75°C (165 degrees fahrenheit) on a meat thermometer.
Can you freeze creamy sauces?
Creamy sauces have a tendency to split or change texture when frozen and thawed so its best not to freeze creamy sauces. They can however be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days and gently reheated over low heat.
How to make creamy sauces with milk
Replace cream in a recipe with 1 cup of milk mixed with 1 teaspoon of corn starch. Allow the sauce to simmer for at least 7-10 minutes for the corn starch to cook through and thicken the sauce.
What to serve garlic Parmesan chicken
- Cooked pasta or rice.
- Creamy mashed potatoes
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
Creamy chicken recipes
- Creamy broccoli chicken gnocchi soup
- Easy creamy mushroom chicken
- Creamy bacon and mushroom chicken breasts
- Creamy dijon chicken
Creamy spinach garlic Parmesan chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves crushed (amount depends on how strong the cloves you are using are)
- 6 cups (approximately 200g/7 oz) baby spinach washed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts between two sheet of parchment paper and thin out with a meat mallet or a rolling pin. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken in a large pan or skillet for 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Pour in the cream, sour cream and lemon juice. Season to taste. Allow the sauce to simmer for 5-7 minutes until thickened then add the Parmesan and chicken back to the sauce.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve with pasta or rice.