Curry rice is an easy side dish recipe, perfect for serving with your favorite curries. A few pantry staples is all you need for this delicious dish.
- Jasmine / Basmati rice
- Garlic + Ginger
- Curry powder / Garam Masala (either will work)
- Water / stock
- Frozen peas (optional)
How to make curry rice
(full recipe is in the recipe card below)
- Saute onion in a medium-sized pot until translucent then add ginger, garlic and spices. I like using Garam Masala and Turmeric but you can use any Indian spices you have. Curry powder, Cardamom, Cumin, Coriander, etc. will all work well.
- Add the rice and a pinch of salt and stir to coat in the spices then pour in the water or stock. Allow the rice to cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed then stir in the peas (if using). Reduce the heat to its lowest setting, cover the rice and allow to cook for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to steam for 10 minutes.
- Season the rice, fluff with a fork and serve.
What to serve with curry rice
- Easy rotisserie chicken fried rice
- Creamy mushroom rice
- One pot tomato basil chicken rice
- Almond, lemon and parsley pilaf rice
Quick and easy curry rice
Curry rice is an easy side dish recipe, perfect for serving with your favorite curries. A few pantry staples is all you need for this delicious dish.Print Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder / Garam Masala
- 2 cups Jasmine / Basmati rice
- 4 cups stock / water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a medium-sized pot. Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the rice then pour in the water/stock and season with salt.
- Allow to simmer until most of the water has been absorbed then stir in the peas.
- Cover with a lid then turn the heat down to its lowest setting.
- Allow to cook gently for 5 minutes then turn the heat off and allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, fluff with a fork, season to taste and serve.
Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 393mg | Potassium: 165mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 185IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg
Do you cover the rice while it is simmering?
No, you could though if you prefer just simmer it partially covered.
Really great. I added some raisons for a little extra sweetness. Great looking rice.