Roast chicken melts with jalapeño mayo and salsa
Toasted sourdough topped with chicken and mozzarella, spicy jalapeño mayo and zesty salsa makes these roast chicken melts a great way to use leftovers.
We’re in! For the last MONTH (!!), all we’ve done is paint, sand, re-paint and decorate our new home. And for a while I was super certain that we would finish everything on time. (Insert hysterical laughter from anyone who’s ever done this). But now, although we’ve been living here for 3 weeks and our top kitchen cupboards still don’t have doors yet, I have made peace. We are here for the long haul and we have a good couple of years to finish every project we have in mind. Rome was not built in a day people!
Nevertheless, I am still quite chuffed at what we’ve accomplished in this last month. We took a sad little house with lots of potential and created something beautiful. I will soon do a proper post with all the images but if you’re very curious go take a look on my Instagram. I’ve shared a few pics there.
Oh! And the puppy! Our darling Riley. Man, that dog is cute. Naughty, and likes to eat socks, but cute! There are a few pics of him up on Instagram too. (Just in case you needed more of a reason to go follow me…)
But enough of that. Let’s get to this drop-dead-delicious sandwich. So, as you might know, I am a sandwich obsessive. Put anything between two slices of bread and I’m bound to love it.
I had some left-over roast chicken a couple of days ago and knew it was destined to be turned into an awesome sandwich. But there are so many options. Shall I chop it and make my classic chicken salad sandwich? No, I wanted something different. I decided to take inspiration from one of my favourite sandwiches at one of my favourite restaurants, Lucky Bread Co. They have this spicy chicken, mozzarella sandwich thing that makes my mouth water every.single.time.
It comes served with jalapeño mayo, salsa and fresh avocado and good grief, it’s perfection. So, I took all those elements and created my own version of their classic.
The end result? These roast chicken melts C and I gobbled down within seconds. Every bite is filled with succulent chicken, creamy and spicy mayo and fresh zestiness from the salsa. Add the perfectly ripe avo and good sourdough and you have the sandwich equivalent of euphoria. So the next time you have some roast chicken leftovers or oooh, some Rotisserie chicken lying around, make this sandwich. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeños, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayo (I used Hellmans)
- 1 teaspoon pickle juice (from the jalapeños)
- 1 ripe tomato, finely diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- handful fresh parsley (or coriander), finely chopped
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 1 chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 4 sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 avo, thinly sliced
- fresh coriander, to garnish
- Pre-heat the grill of your oven on the hottest setting.
- Combine the ingredients for the jalapeño mayo and set aside.
- Do the same with the salsa ingredients.
- To assemble the sandwich, place the chicken on two slices of the sourdough then top with the mozzarella. Place the sandwiches on a baking tray and place in the oven.
- Allow the cheese to melt and become golden brown then remove from the oven.
- Spread the mayo on the remaining slice of bread then top the sandwich with the avo slices and a generous spoonful of salsa. Top with the fresh coriander and close the sandwich with the mayo-slathered bread.
- Serve immediately.