Baked eggs nestled in a bed of creamy spinach flavoured with chorizo and feta cheese makes the ultimate brunch.
I absolutely adore eggs Florentine (pretty much Eggs Benedict where the ham/bacon is substituted for spinach) and used this idea along with one of my other favourites, Huevos Rancheros, to create this spectacular dish. What I love so much about baked eggs is that all the components can be assembled and prepped in advance and you simply crack the eggs into the base before baking. It is the perfect solution to cooking for a crowd whether it’s for an early breakfast, a lazy brunch or a casual supper.
There’s something incredibly indulgent about a perfectly cooked egg, nestled in a bed of creamy spinach flavoured with chorizo and feta cheese. And then you pierce the yolk with your fork and that creamy, yellow yolk mixes with the spinach and you just have nirvana. Like, seriously. Who could resist? Add lots of crusty bread and you have a breakfast fit for kings.
How to make baked eggs
Fry onion, garlic and chorizo until golden brown then add the spinach and cream. Allow to cook for a few minutes before adding the feta cheese. Make a hollow in the mixture and add the eggs. Bake until the eggs are cooked to your preference then serve with crusty bread.
How long does it take egg to cook in the oven?
Depending on your preference, eggs will bake in approximately 5-8 minutes in a 200ºC/400ºF oven. If you want a firmer set yolk, bake the eggs for 8-10 minutes.
What to make with eggs:
- Easy breakfast egg crêpes
- Make-ahead freezer breakfast sandwiches
- Bacon, egg and creamed spinach breakfast toast
- Smoked salmon chive devilled eggs
- Eggs benedict with hash browns
Baked eggs with creamy spinach, chorizo and feta cheese
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 x 200g chorizo cubed
- 800 g 2 large bags baby spinach, washed and dried
- 1/2-3/4 cup cream
- 1 cup feta cheese cubed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 eggs per person
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- Fry the onion and garlic in a large frying pan until soft and translucent.
- Add the chorizo and fry until golden brown.
- Add the spinach and allow to wilt before pouring in the cream. Allow to cook for 5 minutes until the spinach is cooked and the cream has reduced slightly.
- Add the feta, lemon juice and seasoning.
- With a spoon, make hollows in the mixture and break in the eggs.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper then place the pan in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 5-8 minutes (or until the eggs are done to your preference).
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.