The cheesiest chicken lasagna layered with cheddar and mozzarella cheese, rich chicken bolognese and no-boil lasagna sheets is a dinner favorite.
Lasagna is pretty much always guaranteed to impress. There are very few people who can resist all that cheesy, meaty goodness. And even though a classic lasagna is a thing of beauty, this chicken lasagna recipe has been my go-to for a while now.
Not only is it ever so slightly lighter because the chicken doesn’t add much in terms of fat or rich, beefy flavor, I also find it much quicker to make because the bolognese doesn’t need to cook for very long. To make the assembly go even faster, I often buy cheese sauce and use that instead of making my own. Layering the lasagna with grated cheddar and mozzarella adds all the melty goodness you want when you’re eating a plate of comforting lasagna.
Full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken mince / Ground chicken.
- Chicken stock / chicken broth.
- Balsamic vinegar. A tablespoon of Balsamic adds a ton of flavor but it can be omitted if you don’t have it.
- Sugar. A teaspoon of sugar balances the acidity but it’s optional.
- Salt and pepper.
- Lasagna sheets / Lasagna noodles. I prefer using no boil noodles.
- Bechamel sauce.
- Cheddar cheese.
- Mozzarella cheese.
- Parmesan cheese.
How to make chicken lasagna
- Chicken bolognese: Brown ground chicken (chicken mince) over high heat. Remove the chicken and set aside while you saute onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms until they start to soften. You can add spinach too if you wanted to boost the veggies in the recipe. Add garlic and herbs and add the chicken back into the pot. Cook for another minute then pour in tomatoes, stock, Balsamic vinegar and sugar. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced slightly. Season to taste.
- Make the bechamel sauce: I know a lot of people like using ricotta cheese in lasagna but I think bechamel sauce makes it so much creamier. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour then cook for 1-2 minutes until the roux turns a very light golden brown. Whisk in the milk, a little at a time, until the sauce is smooth and the milk has been incorporated. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer gently, stirring regularly, until the sauce is smooth and thick. Add the cayenne pepper, nutmeg, mustard powder and cheese (if using) and stir in. Season to taste.
- Assembly: Layer the bolognese mixture with no-cook lasagna sheets and bechamel/cheese sauce in an oven-proof baking dish (18cm x 25cm or 7in x 10in). Add a quarter cup mozzarella cheese with each layer to make it ultra cheese. Top with cheddar cheese, mozzarella and the half cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake: Cover the dish with foil and bake at 200ºC/390ºF for 30 minute or until a knife can easily be inserted. Remove the foil and bake until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
What to serve with lasagna
Lasagna is a meal all on its own but it’s delicious with a simple salad or garlic bread to soak up any leftover sauce on your plate.
Freezing and reheating instructions
- Freezing: Assemble the lasagna in a freezer- and oven-safe dish. Press a piece of parchment onto the surface then wrap tightly with two layers of foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen: remove the parchment, recover with foil and bake until hot and bubbling.
- Making ahead: Lasagna can be assembled, covered and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days before baking. Baked lasagna can be reheated by placing in a hot oven and baking until hot throughout.
- Cheesy Mushroom Lasagna
- Vegetarian lasagna with basil pesto
- Shredded pork lasagna with smoked provolone
Cheesy chicken lasagna
- 500 g (1lb) ground chicken / chicken mince
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 celery spears finely chopped (+- ½ cup)
- 2 large carrots finely chopped (+- 1 cup)
- 250 g (½lb) mushrooms finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Italian herbs / Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes that were starting to soften)
- 1 cup tomato puree (passata / crushed tomatoes)
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 2 cups bechamel sauce / cheese sauce (my recipe is linked)
- 250 g (½lb) no-boil lasagna sheets
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large, deep pan and brown the chicken well. Remove and set aside.
- Add the vegetables and cook for 7-10 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add the garlic and herbs and cook for another minute before adding the chicken back in.
- Pour in the tomatoes, stock, Balsamic and sugar.
- Cover, reduce and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Season to taste.
- Layer the bolognese mixture with no-cook lasagna sheets and bechamel/cheese sauce in an oven-proof baking dish (18cm x 25cm or 7in x 10in). Add a quarter cup mozzarella cheese with each layer to make it ultra cheese. Top with cheddar cheese, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 200°C/390°F for 20-30 minutes or until a sharp knife can easily be inserted. Remove the foil and allow to bake until browned on top.
- Remove from the oven, allow to rest for at least 10 minutes then slice and serve.