Layers of pasta with from-scratch Bechamel sauce, Bolognese and cheese makes this homemade lasagna the ultimate comfort food.
Table of Contents
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Lasagna sheets. I use no-boil lasagna sheets but you can use any pasta sheets of your choice.
- Ground beef / beef mince.
- Ground pork / Pork mince.
- Bay leaves.
- Beef stock.
- Tomatoes. I used tomato puree/tomato passata but you can used crushed or chopped tomatoes too.
- Sugar, salt, black pepper.
- Bechamel sauce / white sauce. I use my go-to recipe which consists of butter, flour, milk and cheese.
- Parmesan cheese.
- Mozzarella cheese.
How to make homemade lasagna
- Make the bolognese sauce: Brown the meat well in a large pot set over high heat. I do this in batches to allow the meat to brown well. Remove the browned meat from the pot and set aside. Add chopped carrots, celery and onion along with the fresh herbs. I like using bay leaves and thyme but rosemary is also a great addition. Allow the vegetables to saute until golden brown. The longer you let the vegetables saute, the deeper the flavor will be of the finished bolognese sauce. Add the meat back into the pot then add the tomatoes, beef stock, sugar, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat then simmer the bolognese with the lid ajar for 30-45 minutes.
- Make the bechamel sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan then whisk in the flour. Cook over medium-low heat for a minute then slowly pour in the milk, whisking continuously. Whisk until the sauce is smooth then cook gently, stirring regularly until the sauce has thickened and is smooth. Add the seasonings and remove from the heat then add the cheese (optional).
- Assemble the lasagna: In a casserole dish, add a few spoons of bolognese sauce then add a layer of lasagna sheets. Add a few more spoons of bolognese then layer with the remaining lasagna sheets, bechamel sauce and grated cheese. Finishing with a layer of bechamel and cheese.
- Bake: Cover the lasagna loosely with foil and place in a preheated oven. Bake for 30-45 minutes until a knife can easily be inserted. Remove the foil and allow to bake for another 10 minutes to brown the top.
- Allow to rest: Remove the lasagna from the oven and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes. Slice and serve.
Can I make lasagna ahead?
Yes, absolutely. Lasagna can be prepped the day before and kept covered in the fridge until ready to bake. Lasagna can also be frozen at this stage. Frozen lasagna will bake for closer to 60 minutes from frozen. Baked lasagna can be cooled and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
What to serve with lasagna
Classic homemade lasagna
- 500 g (1lb) beef mince / ground beef
- 500 g (1lb) pork mince / ground pork
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 cup beef stock
- 500 g (2 cups) strained tomatoes/crushed tomatoes (tomato puree or passata also works)
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups Bechamel sauce (recipe linked)
- 500 g (1lb) lasagna sheets
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add the meat in batches and brown well. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion, carrot, celery and fresh herbs. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occassionally, until they are golden brown and starting to soften. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the meat back into the pot with the stock, tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Partially cover with a lid and reduce the heat. Allow to simmer for 45-60 minutes, stirring occassionally, until the sauce is rich and slightly reduced.
- While the bolognese cooks, make the bechamel sauce according to recipe instructions.
- To assemble the lasagna add a few spoons of bolognese sauce into the bottom of a deep casserole dish then add a layer of lasagna sheets. Add a few more spoons of bolognese then layer with the remaining lasagna sheets, bechamel sauce and grated cheese. Finishing with a layer of bechamel and cheese.
- Cover the lasagna loosely with foil and place in a preheated oven (180°C/350°F).
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until a knife can easily be inserted. Remove the foil and allow to bake for another 10 minutes to brown the top.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes. Slice and serve.