These are the very best chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches. This easy, one bowl chocolate chip cookie recipe take minutes to make and sandwiched with ice cream, make the very best Summer dessert or delicious snack.
Now listen, I know chocolate chip cookies are aplenty out there on the web and almost every one says that theirs is the very best. And you know what? I can’t say they’re not but what I can tell you is that of ALL the chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever baked (more than I care to admit), these have been the very best in flavour and texture every.single.time. They have a really rich, buttery flavour accented by the caramelly notes in the light brown sugar, a little vanilla and those delectable chunks of chocolate.
And even though these cookies are fabulous on their own, sandwiching them with generous scoops of ice cream takes them to a whole other level and turns them into the ultimate Summer dessert or indulgent snack. I suggest making the ice cream sandwiches ahead of time to make things easy and then keep them in the freezer until you’re ready to serve. Kids and adults alike will fall over themselves for these, guaranteed.
How to make chocolate chip cookies
Beat together white and brown sugar with softened butter until light and fluffy. Using both white and brown sugar gives you a molasses-kind of depth from the brown sugar and crispness from the white sugar. Add eggs and vanilla then stir in the dry ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips or chunks and place scoops of dough onto parchment lined sheets. Refrigerate the dough while the oven is pre-heating.
Bake the cookies until golden brown and firm around the edges but still soft in the center. This will result in chewy chocolate chip cookies. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before sandwiching with ice cream.
How to prevent cookies from spreading
Can you freeze chocolate chip cookie dough?
Chocolate chip cookie dough freezes beautifully. Once mixed, place scoops of dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets then freeze the dough and then transfer to freezer bags or containers once frozen. Cookie dough can be frozen for up to 3 months. Place frozen dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets and bake from frozen until golden brown.
Cookie sandwich recipes you will love:
- Chocolate-wasted brownie cookie sandwiches
- Coconut oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwiches
- Raspberry vanilla cookie sandwiches
- Spiced-oatmeal cookie sandwiches
Chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches
- 1½ cups butter room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips/chunks
- ice cream of your choice for serving
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Beat in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Slowly add the flour and baking powder, scraping down the bowl occasionally until all the flour has been incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºc and line 3 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Using a small ice cream scoop (or a tablespoon), place small (just smaller then a golf ball) scoops of the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them slightly to allow for spreading.
- Place the cookie dough in the fridge until the oven is pre-heated.
- Place the baking sheets into the oven and allow to bake for 7-10 minutes until golden brown but still soft in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and allow to chill for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- When the cookies are cool, they can be stored in an airtight container for up to 7 days (if they last that long) or sandwiched with ice cream.
- Serve immediately OR wrap in baking/wax paper and place in the freezer until ready to serve.