Coconut oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwiches with white chocolate and vanilla ice cream is the ultimate summer treat and easy dessert.
There is something incredibly wonderful about an ice cream sandwich. It appeals to both kids and adults and can be made using any ice cream and any type of cookie. These coconut oatmeal cookies have been a family fav for as long as I can remember so sandwiching a scoop of vanilla ice cream in between white chocolate-coated cookies is pretty much just my idea of heaven. It’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser and you’ll be hard-pressed to find a more perfect summer dessert.
- Sugar. I use both white and soft brown sugar.
- Baking powder.
- Desiccated coconut.
- Rolled oats.
- White chocolate (optional).
- Ice cream, for serving.
How to make oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwiches
- Start by making the cookie dough: Beat butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla and then add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined then place scoops of dough onto parchment-lined baking trays. Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes while you pre-heat the oven.
- Bake the cookies: Bake the cookies until golden brown with the edges firming up. The longer they bake, the crispier they will be and for ice cream sandwiches I prefer them to be a little softer. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool completely, they will firm up as they cool.
- Make the ice cream sandwiches: Dip the cooled cookies into melted white chocolate, allow them to set and then sandwich with scoops of vanilla ice cream before serving.
How long do ice cream sandwiches last
You can wrap assembled ice cream sandwiches in parchment or wax paper and freeze in a freezer-proof container for up to 3 months.
How do you keep cookies from spreading?
Refrigerating cookie dough before baking will prevent the cookies from spreading too much.
- Easy one-bowl chocolate chip cookie cups
- White chocolate dipped ginger cookies
- Nutella-stuffed choc chip cookie bars
Coconut oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwiches
- 1 cup (220g) butter softened
- ½ cup (100g) white sugar
- 1 cup (200g) soft brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (75g) unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 3 cups (300g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (125g) flour (all purpose/cake flour)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the ice cream sandwiches
- 1 cup (approx 200g) white chocolate melted
- vanilla ice cream
- Beat together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and mix well after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Add all the dried ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Place scoops of cookie dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets and refrigerate for 15 minutes. I find I can comfortably get 6-8 cookies, depending on size, out of each baking sheet.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Bake the chilled cookie dough until cookies are golden brown and the edges are starting to firm. The centers will still feel very soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Dip the cooled cookies into melted white chocolate and allow to set.
- Sandwich two cookies together with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and serve.