Crisp, buttery vanilla cookie sandwiches filled with an easy-peasy raspberry jam and vanilla butter cream are a delicious tea-time treat.
Man alive, I love fresh berries. And I find myself become increasingly more nervous that there are less and less of them available as the season draws to a close. I suppose that’s why I try to use them in every way I possibly can before they disappear and make way for oranges and clementines. I’ve used them to make glorious mixed berry pies, in quick smoothies for breakfast, piled on top of French toast and mixed into pancake batter.
And to make sure I get to enjoy their beautiful flavours through the dark and gloomy winter months, I have started making preserves with the berries I can still get my hands on. I made this incredibly quick and easy raspberry jam in less than 10 minutes a few weeks ago when raspberries went on sale at my local grocery store and have been enjoying it on toast, mixing it into softly whipped cream to top meringues and most impressively, making these gorgeous cookie sandwiches. I made a very simple cookie dough which I baked until the cookies were golden brown and cooked through and then I sandwiches the cookies together with a little bit of the ruby red raspberry jam and a dollop of vanilla butter cream. The sweet, creaminess of the butter cream added the perfect butter to the sharp, tartness of the raspberry jam. Just delicious.
I feel obliged to mention that these would also be an adorable hand-made gift for your beloved for Valentine’s day but as I am not really a celebrator of the day and its red hearts and teddy bears, I will just be making these for myself and if C happens to have one, I’ll pretend I made them all for for him. That counts, right?
Table of Contents
for the easy raspberry jam
- 500 g fresh raspberries washed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 125 g butter 1 stick, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
for the vanilla buttercream
- 100 g butter softened
- 300 g icing sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 vanilla pod scraped
- To make the raspberry jam, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat then allow to come to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. To test if the jam is ready, spoon some of the jam onto a plate, allow to cool slightly and drag your finger through the mixture. If the liquid doesn’t bleed into the line again, the jam is ready.
- Transfer the jam to a sterilized jar and allow to cool completely.
- To make the cookies, pre-heat the oven to 180°c and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and creamy then beat in the egg. Sift together the flour and baking powder and fold into the butter mixture. Mix until the dough comes together in a ball then bring together with your hands, making sure the dough has been mixed through.
- Form balls just smaller than the size of golf balls and place them on the baking trays. Flatten with a fork then place in the oven and allow to bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- While the cookies cool, whip together the butter and sugar for the butter cream until light and fluffy. Add the cream and vanilla seeds and mix through.
- Sandwich the cookies with a bit of the raspberry jam and the vanilla butter cream.
- Place in the fridge to set for 10-20 minutes before serving.