Cheesy vegetable-loaded pizza quesadillas are a delicious and easy snack or lunch, perfect served with creamy guacamole for dipping.
Let’s take a moment to appreciate that with these quesadillas you get the flavors of pizza inside a quesadilla (my best!) with all the goodness of vegetables all in one. This is the best way to get anyone who doesn’t like vegetables to get their 5-a-day in with very little effort. In fact, my kids ate 6 wedges each! The great thing with these quesadillas is that you can use whatever vegetables you want or have in the fridge. I used zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, spinach and olives (because my kids LOVE them) but corn, peas, onions, eggplant, chopped cauliflower/broccoli, kale, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted squash or pumpkin will all work well.
I think the pizza-flavors convinces veggie-haters to give these a go. And you know what? I’m not even shy about the fact that I’m conning my kids into eating their vegetables. As parents we have to choose our battles and use everything in our arsenal to make things happen and this is one of mine.
These quesadillas make the best after-school lunch and are awesome lunchbox fillers. I think they’re pretty awesome as they are (and great for vegetarians) but if you wanted, you could add some grilled chicken. Serve with creamy guacamole and salsa for a casual family feast.
What is the best cheese for a quesadilla?
Any cheese with good melting properties will work well in quesadillas. Try any of these:
- Monterey Jack
What to serve with quesadillas
Vegetable-loaded pizza quesadillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups vegetables of your choice sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
for the quesidillas
- 8 flour tortillas
- 3-4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves torn
- To cook the vegetables, heat a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil then saute the vegetables until golden brown and cooked through. Add the garlic and oregano then fry for another minute or two.
- Season to taste and remove from the heat. Allow to cool slightly.
- Heat a large frying/griddle pan over high heat.
- Place a tortilla in the pan then top with cheese and vegetables on one half of the tortilla. Fold over and press down on the quesadilla a little to ensure everything is glued together by the cheese.
- Carefully flip the quesadilla to crisp up the other side.
- Remove from the pan then continue with the remaining quesadillas.
- Slice the quesidillas then serve with the guacamole and salsa.