Homemade blue cheese dressing is a delicious, easy dressing to make that works perfectly over a wedge salad or as a dip for veggies or buffalo wings.
Table of Contents
- Blue cheese. I prefer crumbling my own blue cheese but feel free to substitute with blue cheese crumbles if that’s all you can find. I like using Gorgonzola, Roquefort or Stilton.
- Sour cream. Many people add mayonnaise to their dressing but I find the sour cream adds enough creaminess. Plain Greek yogurt can be substituted for a lighter dressing.
- Buttermilk. Substitute with milk or water to thin out the dressing to your desired consistency.
- Fresh chives. Other herbs like parsley can be used instead. Seasonings like garlic powder and onion powder can also be added.
- Salt and black pepper. A teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce can be added for more flavor but I don’t find it necessary.
- Fresh lemon juice.
How to make blue cheese dressing
Crumble the blue cheese and add to a mixing bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients. Mix well then taste and adjust seasoning if needed and serve. If you want a smoother dressing, simply blend the ingredients together in a blender or with an immersion blender.
Can I make this ahead?
Yes, this can be made and kept in an airtight container or jar for up to a week in the refrigerator. This recipe is not suitable for freezing.
This dressing is fantastic on a wedges salad topped with bacon or over a green salad and makes a delicious dip for crudités or buffalo chicken or buffalo cauliflower for a great vegetarian appetizer. It’s also delicious as a sauce over steak.
It’s definitely not the healthiest salad dressing out there but if you want a lighter version, swop the sour cream for yogurt.
Blue cheese dressing is also called Roquefort dressing because the original dressing was made with French Roquefort cheese.
I wouldn’t suggest heating this dressing. For a warm blue cheese sauce, try this Gorgonzola sauce recipe which is delicious over pasta, gnocchi or steak.
Blue cheese dressing
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-2 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 tbsp chives finely chopped
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble the blue cheese and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add the sour cream, chives, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well then add a few tablespoons of buttermilk to thin out the dressing to your desired consistency.