Chicken with rice served with creamy peri-peri sauce is a fantastic, super flavorful dinner. The chicken is perfectly seasoned and juicy and that sauce? Simply addictive!
Table of Contents
- 1 Ingredients Needed
- 2 How to make Peri Peri Chicken with Rice
- 3 Can I make this ahead?
- 4 Serving suggestions
- 5 Chicken and Rice Recipes
- 6 Creamy Peri-Peri Chicken with Rice
For the chicken
- Chicken. I used skinless boneless chicken thighs but chicken breasts can be used too.
- Extra-virgin olive oil.
- Smoked paprika.
- Oregano. Other herbs like rosemary, thyme and sage are also delicious with chicken.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Peri-peri sauce. I used store-bought peri peri sauce (Nando’s peri peri sauce is delicious) but I’ve also made this with my own homemade peri peri sauce.
- Heavy cream.
For the savory rice
- Fresh garlic.
- Bell peppers.
- Rice. I used jasmine rice but basmati rice can also be used.
- Chicken stock. I often make this with only water but the chicken broth definitely adds extra flavor.
- Corn. I used frozen corn but canned corn can be substituted.
How to make Peri Peri Chicken with Rice
- Marinating the chicken will improve flavor and texture. Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and mix well. Add the chicken to a large bowl and pour over the marinade. Toss to coat the chicken in the marinade and allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes but ideally overnight in the fridge.
- Serving the grilled chicken with savoury rice makes this the perfect meal. I love making the rice with onion, peppers, corn and garlic. Adding a pinch of turmeric gives the rice a beautiful yellow color. This rice is fantastic with a variety of dishes but with this chicken it’s absolutely delicious.
- The creamy peri-peri sauce is so simple to make and is definitely the star of the show. It’s spicy, creamy and perfect with the chicken and rice.
- Grill the chicken until golden brown and just cooked-through. You want the chicken to be tender and juicy so cooking it over high heat on a grill pan or on an outdoor grill/braai/barbecue is my preferred cooking method but you can cook the chicken in an air fryer too.
Can I make this ahead?
The chicken, rice and sauce can be meal prepped in advance and kept in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The chicken can be frozen in the marinade for up to 3 months.
Chicken with rice is a meal all on its own but adding vegetable side dishes or a big salad will be a great addition. Air fryer sweet potato, arugula salad and Garlic Parmesan roasted cauliflower are some of our favorites.
Chicken and Rice Recipes
- One pot tomato basil chicken rice
- One pan ginger chicken and rice
- Grilled Peruvian Chicken and rice bowls with Green Sauce
Creamy Peri-Peri Chicken with Rice
For the Chicken
- 1 lb / 500g skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For the savory rice
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- 4 cups chicken broth / water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups frozen corn
For the Creamy Peri Peri Sauce
- ½ cup peri-peri sauce
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- lemon juice to taste
- salt to taste
- Combine all the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken to a large bowl then pour over the marinade, cover and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes but ideally overnight in the fridge.
- To make the rice, sauté the onions and peppers in a splash of oil in a medium pot/Dutch oven until softened. Add the garlic and turmeric and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the rice then pour in the liquid. Season with salt then allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the frozen corn then turn the heat all the way down and cover with a lid. Allow to steam for 10 minutes then turn off the heat and allow to stand while you cook the chicken.
- For the sauce, add the peri-peri sauce, cream, lemon juice and salt to a small saucepan then set over medium-high heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat (or cook the chicken on an outdoor grill) for 6-7 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve the chicken over the rice then pour over the sauce.