This is the BEST recipe for grilled chicken sandwiches. The chicken is marinated in loads of aromatics to ensure it stays juicy and flavorful once grilled and the peri-peri mayonnaise takes it to a new level of deliciousness.
Table of Contents
If you love Nando’s, you’ll love this chicken sandwich recipe. The chicken is marinated in a mixture of lemon, garlic, herbs and spices. Cooking the chicken over flames ensures the perfect caramelization on the outside with the chicken staying super juicy on the inside.
- Chicken. I used chicken breasts but boneless chicken thighs can be substituted.
- Marinade: Extra-virgin olive oil, fresh garlic cloves, lemon juice (lime juice can also be used), herbs and spices. I used smoked paprika, dried oregano, dried thyme, a pinch of cayenne pepper and a generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Other herbs like parsley, basil and rosemary can be substituted.
- For the sandwiches: Toasted burger buns/brioche buns, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced red onions and peri-peri mayo are our go-to’s. Sliced cheddar cheese, avocado, crispy bacon, pickled jalapeños, pickled cucumbers, even grilled pineapple slices will all be delicious too.
How to make grilled chicken sandwiches
Start by marinating the chicken. Slice the chicken breasts in half, horizontally, to create two thin cutlets. Whisk together all the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl then pour over the chicken and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes but ideally overnight in the fridge.
Grill the chicken in a preheated grill pan or on an outdoor grill (the flavor from the fire adds unreal flavor to the chicken) for 3-4 minutes per side until the chicken is just cooked, still juicy and tender with grill marks on both sides. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
To make the peri-peri mayo, mix together the mayonnaise, peri-peri sauce and lemon juice. Season to taste.
Toast the buns then start building your sandwich. Add a generous spoonful of mayo then add lettuce, grilled chicken, sliced tomatoes and red onion then serve immediately.
Can I make this ahead?
The chicken can be marinated for up to 2 days in the refrigerator or frozen in the marinade for up to 3 months. Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What to serve with grilled chicken sandwiches
These sandwiches are great served with French fries or potato wedges but I love creamy potato salad, coleslaw or grilled corn on the cob as side dishes too.
Grilled chicken recipes
Grilled chicken sandwiches
- 500 g (1lb) chicken breasts
For the marinade
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp mixed dried herbs
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
For the peri-peri mayonnaise
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp peri-peri sauce
- lemon juice to taste
- salt to taste
For the burgers
- 4 burger buns toasted
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced onion
- Place the chicken breasts on a chopping board in front of you and carefully slice each breast in half, creating two thin cutlets.
- Place the chicken in a dish or large bowl suitable for marinating.
- To make the marinade, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, smoked paprika, herbs, chilli flakes/red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and mix, making sure each piece of chicken is completely coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat an outdoor grill or grill pan over medium high heat. You can use a large skillet on a stovetop too, if preferred.
- Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes per side (depending on the thickness of the chicken) until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- To assemble the burgers, toast the hamburger buns then top with spicy mayonnaise, lettuce leaves, the grilled chicken and any burger toppings of your choice.
- Serve immediately.