Juicy grilled chicken skewers marinated in olive oil, lemon, garlic, oregano and rosemary is a delicious, healthy dinner recipe.
Table of Contents
- Chicken breasts. Boneless chicken thighs can also be used.
- Olive oil.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Oregano. Fresh or dried.
- Sweet Paprika. Not entirely traditional in Greek cooking but I love the color it gives the marinade.
- Salt and pepper.
- Red onion. (optional)
How to make grilled chicken skewers
- Marinate the chicken: Slice boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks (approximately 5cm/2in) and place in a large bowl. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, rosemary, chopped garlic, paprika, salt and pepper and mix well. Pour over the chicken, toss to coat the chicken in the marinade then cover and marinade for at least 20 minutes but up to 24 hours.
- Skewer and grill: Soak bamboo/wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes or alternatively use metal skewers. Thread chicken and chunks of red onion onto skewers. Other veggies like zucchini or bell peppers can be added too. Heat your grill/braai/barbecue or a grill pan on the stove. Because the chicken cooks relatively quickly high heat works well for this recipe. Cook the chicken skewers for 2-3 minutes per side until the chicken is cooked through but still tender, 8-10 minutes in total. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Can I make this in the oven?
Yes, you can. Preheat the broiler (also called a grill or top element) of your oven on its highest setting. Place the skewers on a wire rack set over a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil the chicken, turning every 2-3 minutes until golden brown and cooked through (approximately 10 minutes).
Making ahead and freezing
- Make ahead: The chicken can be marinated up to a day in advance. Skewers can be assembled and kept in an airtight container in the fridge up to a day in advance. Cooked skewers will last for 2-3 days in the fridge.
- Freezing: The assembled, uncooked skewers can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before cooking.
What to serve with chicken skewers
These Greek grilled skewers are delicious served with vegetables like corn on the cob or a simple Greek salad made with cucumber, cherry tomatoes, olives and feta cheese. Other great side dishes are creamy potato salad, flatbread/pita bread or crispy potatoes.
- Easy flatbread
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
- Creamy potato salad
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
Chicken skewer recipes
Greek grilled chicken skewers
- 1 kg (2lbs) chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped/crushed
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp rosemary finely chopped
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
For the skewers
- 1 red onion sliced into 2cm/1in chunks
- Slice the chicken into bite-sized chunks, approximately 5cm/2in in size.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and pour over the chicken.
- Toss to coat the chicken in the marinade then cover and marinade for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Soak bamboo skewers in hot water for 30 minutes or alternatively use metal skewers.
- Thread marinated chicken and red onion onto skewers then brush with the remaining marinade.
- Cook on a hot grill or in a griddle pan on the stove for 2-3 minutes per side until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, approximately 10 minutes in total.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.