Easy lemon chicken skewers with garlic and herbs are delicious, healthy and fast making them perfect for dinner any time of the year served with simple side dishes. I also love meal prepping this ahead for easy grab and go lunches.
These chicken skewers require a handful of ingredients, most of which you probably already have in the pantry. Feel free to add more spices or seasonings if you prefer but they are delicious as is.
- Chicken. I used skinless, boneless chicken breasts but boneless thighs can also be used.
- Olive oil. Any oil suitable for cooking will work. Canola, avocado, sunflower, etc.
- Lemon juice + zest.
- Herbs. I used rosemary, oregano and parsley but thyme and sage are also delicious with chicken.
- Salt and pepper.
How to grill chicken skewers
- Make the marinade: Combine olive oil, lemon juice and zest, crushed garlic and herbs of your choice with salt and pepper. Cube chicken breasts or boneless thighs and place in a large bowl. Pour over the marinade. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours covered in the fridge.
- Assemble the skewers: Thread the chicken onto soaked bamboo or metal skewers. Soaking wooden skewers prevents them from burning on the grill on in the oven. I added a few sprigs of fresh rosemary in between the chicken pieces to infuse even more flavor into the skewers.
- Cook: Preheat an outdoor grill or stove-top grill pan for a few minute. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Can you put wooden skewers in the oven?
Soaking wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes in boiling water will prevent them from burning on the grill on in the oven.
Can I cook this in the oven?
Yes, preheat the oven’s grill or broiler of your oven and cook the chicken skewers, turning every 5 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
Can you freeze marinated chicken skewers?
Yes, you can. Marinate the chicken then thread the meat onto soaked wooden skewers/metal skewers and place in freezer bags or a freezer-proof container in a single layer before placing in the freezer. Skewers can be frozen for up to a month and must be de-frosted completely before cooking.
- Easy cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
- Spicy garlic potato wedges
- Caprese pasta salad
- Grilled corn avocado salad
- Greek salad with fried feta cheese
Easy herby lemon skewers
For the marinade
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 garlic clove crushed
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For the skewers
- 4 large chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- wooden skewers soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Slice the chicken into bite-sized chunks and place in a bowl. Pour over the marinade, cover and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours, covered in the fridge.
- Thread the marinated chicken onto soaked wooden skewers or metal skewers.
- Heat an outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan then cook the skewers, turning every 3-5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown on all sides.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.