This easy tuna melt is the ultimate lunchtime sandwich. The creamy tuna filling is perfect with crusty bread and melty cheese.
This tuna melt recipe is easy to make and contains ingredients you probably already have on hand. It’s a simple tuna salad recipe flavored with dill and a pinch of chilli flakes for a tiny amount of heat. I love adding onion and celery for the crunch they add. Use whatever bread you like, I love using sourdough or country style bread. Whole wheat bread is also a great idea and this is awesome served on a bagel.
- Tuna. I used tuna in oil, use any variety you have.
- Fresh chilli/chilli flakes. I’ve made this recipe with both and the subtle heat is a great addition.
- Fresh dill. Parsley, chives, tarragon or coriander/cilantro are good alternatives.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Bread, of your choice.
- Cheese. I used white cheddar cheese but mozzarella, Swiss cheese, etc will all work too.
- Alternative extras: Thinly sliced red onion, pickles and capers will all be delicious.
How to make a tuna melt
- Make the tuna filling: Drain the tuna then place in a medium bowl. Add finely diced onion and celery, mayonnaise, lemon juice and all the herbs and spices. Mix well, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Butter both sides of your bread then place on a sheet pan then toast in a hot oven. Flip over then top half the slices with tuna mixture, cheese and sliced tomatoes. Place back in the oven and allow the cheese to melt. Remove from the oven, sandwich the remaining slices of bread and serve.
Can I cook this in a pan?
Of course! Heat a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Assemble the tuna melt sandwiches then place, butter side down in the hot pan. Generously butter the top of the sandwich and cook for 4-5 minutes per side until melted and golden-brown.
What to serve with a tuna melt
It’s a perfectly good meal all on its own. However, if you want to serve something alongside it, you can’t go wrong with some potato chips.
Easy sandwich recipes
- 350 g (12oz) tuna drained
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dill chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 green chilli de-seeded and chopped (or ½tsp chilli flakes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices bread of your choice
- tomato slices
- cheese sliced
- Drain the tuna then place in a mixing bowl.
- Add finely diced onion and celery, mayonnaise, lemon juice and all the herbs and spices.
- Mix well, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Place slices of bread on a sheetpan then toast under a hot grill/broiler.
- Flip over then top half the slices with tuna filling, cheese and sliced tomatoes.
- Place back in the oven and allow the cheese to melt.
- Remove from the oven, sandwich with the remaining slices of bread and serve.