Using rotisserie chicken makes this chicken fried rice so easy to make. It’s a great dinner recipe for busy nights and guarantees clean plates all around.
Fried rice is the kind of meal I turn to when I need to get dinner ready quickly. I love this rotisserie chicken version because so much of the work is done for me. Even better when I have some cooked rice ready to go. In fact, lately I like to cook double the amount of rice I need and then store the rest in the fridge or freezer for fried rice emergencies. If the rice and chicken are cooked, all that is needed is to stir fry the vegetables, add a delicious sauce and serve. Dinner in a flash!
How to make chicken fried rice
- Chicken: Shred a store-bought rotisserie chicken, discarding the skin and bones. I often buy two or three chickens, shred and freeze them to make cooking dinner even easier.
- Rice: Cook long grain rice (I really like using Jasmine rice) and allow to cool completely before using in fried rice.
- Frying: Stir fry the onion, celery, carrots, red bell pepper and garlic in a hot wok until the vegetable start to soften. Add the frozen peas, rotisserie chicken and rice and stir fry for another minute or two.
- Sauce: Combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and lemon juice then pour over the rice. Stir fry then adjust seasoning by adding more soy sauce if necessary before serving with chopped spring onion (scallions).
Vegetables to use in fried rice
- Bell peppers
- Frozen peas
- Baby corn
- Sugar snap peas
- Green beans
- Broccoli florets
- Chinese cabbage
- Bok choy / Pak choy
Making ahead, freezing and reheating
- Make ahead: The rice can be made up to 3 days ahead and kept in the fridge. Cold rice works best when making fried rice. The finished fried rice can be kept in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days making this a great recipe to meal prep.
- Freezing: Allow the fried rice to cool completely then transfer to freezer-safe containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw in the fridge.
- Reheating: If using frozen, allow to thaw completely. Reheat the fried rice in a hot pan/wok or in a microwave oven until heated through.
Easy dinner recipes
- Easy sticky ginger chicken
- Pasta with basil cream sauce
- Easy herby lemon chicken skewers
- 20-minute Honey Garlic Salmon
Rotisserie chicken fried rice
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 celery spears finely diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (approximately 1 medium chicken)
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- chopped spring onion/scallions
- Heat a large wok over high heat.
- Fry the onion, celery, carrot and red pepper until the vegetables start to soften. Approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a few seconds before adding the peas, chicken and rice.
- Stir fry for another minute or two.
- Combine the soy suace, oyster sauce, sesame oil and lemon juice. Pour over the rice then stir fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve topped with chopped spring onions.