These General Tso chicken wings are finger licking good. Crisp, golden fried chicken wings coated in sweet spicy sauce? Yes please!
Table of Contents
Full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken wings.
- Cornstarch / Cornflour.
- Oil, for frying. Canola oil or any other neutral vegetable oil.
- Soy sauce.
- Rice vinegar.
- Oyster sauce.
- Hoisin sauce.
- Chilli flakes.
- Sesame seeds.
- Spring onion / Green onion.
- Fresh chilli.
How to make General Tso chicken wings
- Prepare and cook the chicken: Place the chicken wings in a large bowl. Add eggs and soy sauce and massage into the chicken. Place cornstarch and flour in a separate bowl and season with a pinch of salt. Coat the chicken with the cornstarch mixture, ensuring the chicken is well coated. Heat oil in a deep skillet or pot. Fry the chicken wings in batches until golden brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on a wire rack set over a sheetpan.
- Make the sauce: Combine soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, Oyster sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, chilli flakes, sugar and water. Bring to a simmer in a large pan until reduced and sticky then add the chicken and toss well. Scatter with sesame seeds, spring onion and finely diced chillies (optional).
What to serve with chicken wings
Chicken wing recipes
General Tso Chicken wings
These General Tso chicken wings are finger licking good. Crisp, golden fried chicken wings coated in sweet spicy sauce? Yes please!Print Pin Rate
- 500 g (1lb) chicken wings
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup flour
- pinch of salt
For the sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar / black vinegar
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp garlic crushed
- 1 tsp ginger crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- spring onion to serve
- sesame seeds to serve
- fresh chopped chilli to serve
- Heat enough oil to fry the chicken in, in a deep skillet or pot.
- Place the chicken wings in a bowl and add the eggs and soy sauce. Massage together until the chicken is coated.
- Place the cornstarch, flour and pinch of salt in a bowl and mix. Coat the chicken, a few pieces at a time, pressing the flour into the chicken, making sure every piece is well-covered.
- Fry the chicken in batches until golden brown, crisp and cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on kitchen paper or a wire rack set over a sheet pan.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a pan and bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced and sticky then add the chicken.
- Toss together then serve sprinkled with spring onion, sesame seeds and chopped chilli.
Calories: 322kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 1206mg | Potassium: 362mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 104IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg