Garlic butter fried mushrooms and aged cheddar cheese make this mushroom grilled cheese the ultimate easy lunch or dinner recipe.
Table of Contents
Tips for making the best grilled cheese sandwich:
- Use thick slices of good quality bread. Of course regular white bread will work but if you want a fantastic grilled cheese sandwich, using sourdough or another type of good bread will make all the difference.
- Cheese! Using a combination of cheeses will result in the ooey-gooey melted cheese quality you’re after WITH added flavor. Only using mozzarella will result in not much of that stretchy cheese-goodness. Likewise, only using a sharp cheese like cheddar means you lose out on that creaminess. Using a combination of a good melting cheese like mozzarella, fontina or taleggio and something stronger like aged cheddar, Gruyere, Parmesan, etc. will give you the most delicious end result.
- Extras: Adding slices of smoked ham, crispy bacon or in this case, garlic butter mushrooms means that you take your sandwich from good to great. Even adding herbs like basil will transform a simple grilled cheese.
How to make garlic butter mushrooms
Slice mushrooms of your choice into thin slices. I like using portabellini/Chestnut/Cremini mushrooms. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add two tablespoons of butter. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are well browned. The mushrooms might release a lot of liquid. Simply allow the liquid to evaporate and allow them to brown on all sides. Once the mushrooms have browned, add the garlic, chilli flakes if using and oregano. Cook until the garlic is fragrant then season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice then use.
Grilled cheese recipes
Garlic mushroom grilled cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g (½lb) mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the grilled cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 cup mature or sharp cheddar cheese grated
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the butter to the pan then add the mushrooms.
- Allow the mushrooms to fry until golden brown then add the garlic, chilli and oregano. Allow to cook for another minute then season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To assemble the sandwiches, mix the mozzarella with the cheddar. Divide the cheese between four slices of bread. Top with mushrooms and sandwich with the remaining slices of bread. Generously butter both sides of the sandwich .
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and cook until the cheese has melted and the sandwiches are golden brown and crisp on both sides.
- Remove from the pan, slice and serve.