Creamy mushroom rice made with long grain rice, sautéed mushrooms and garlic is a delicious and easy vegetarian main or satisfying side dish.
Table of Contents
How to make mushroom rice
Slice 500g / 1lb portabellini or cremini mushrooms thinly. Use any mushrooms you can easily find, I just find these gorgeous little brown mushrooms the most flavorsome. Melt a tablespoon of butter in a large, deep skillet or pan and brown the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper then remove and set aside. In the same pan, fry the onion until soft and translucent then add the garlic and thyme. Add the white rice and stir to coat in the garlicky butter then pour in the stock or broth. I find chicken stock to add the most flavor but to keep it vegetarian, use mushroom or vegetable stock.
Bring the rice to a boil then reduce the heat and allow to cook with the lid ajar until the rice is fully cooked and the stock has been absorbed. Stir in the browned mushrooms and sour cream then remove from the heat, cover and allow to steam for 5 minutes. Serve warm sprinkled with finely chopped spring/green onion.
What to serve with creamy mushroom rice
- Easy creamy mushroom sauce
- Creamy mushroom toast
- Date night pork fillet with mushroom risotto
- Easy creamy mushroom chicken
- Creamy mushroom pork chops
Creamy mushroom rice
- 500 g (1lb) mushrooms sliced (I used Cremini/Portabellini mushrooms)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 4 cups stock / broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- spring / green onion for serving
- Brown mushrooms in a tablespoon of butter in a large, deep skillet or pan.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add the onion and allow to cook until soft then add the garlic.
- Add the rice and stock then season with salt and pepper.
- Allow the rice to cook with the lid ajar until fully cooked. Stir in the sour cream and mushrooms then remove from the heat, cover with a lid and allow to steam for 5 minutes.
- Serve with green/ spring onions.