Steak is always a good idea but add a dollop of garlic herb anchovy compound butter and you’ve got a knock-out meal everyone will love.
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Lemon zest.
- Salt and pepper.
- Olive oil.
What is compound butter?
Compound butter is butter that is made even more delicious by adding aromatics like herbs, garlic, citrus zest, anchovies, Parmesan, etc.
How to make compound butter
- Prepare the add-ins: Finely chop the anchovies and herbs. Place in a medium-sized mixing bowl then add minced garlic and lemon zest.
- Mix: Add the softened butter then season with salt and pepper and mix until well combined. At this stage you can roll the butter into a cylinder in some plastic wrap or parchment paper. I like to serve the butter in small serving dishes so that everyone can add a much butter to their steak as they would like.
Can I make compound butter ahead?
Yes! You can keep the butter covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze it for up to 3 months. It’s a great way to use up leftover herbs, garlic, etc. and preserve it for future use.
What to serve with steak
- Easy oven baked fries
- Easy green salad with lemon Parmesan dressing
- Bacon Fat Crispy Smashed Baby Potatoes
Grilled steak with Anchovy Compound Butter
Steak is always a good idea but add a dollop of garlic herb anchovy compound butter and you've got a knock-out meal everyone will love.Print Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
- 800 g (1.7lbs) sirloin steak
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For the anchovy compound butter
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 10 anchovies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Combine the softened butter with the anchovies, garlic, herbs, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Combine the olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and pour over the steaks. Make sure the steak is well-covered on both sides then cover and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours in the fridge. Remove the steak from the fridge an hour before cooking.
- Preheat your grill for 10-15 minutes then cook the steaks to your preference. 2-3 minutes per side for rare. 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare to medium. 5-6 minutes per side for well done.
- Remove the steak from the heat and place on a plate or board. Loosely cover with foil and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the steak with dollops of the compound butter.
Calories: 462kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 174mg | Sodium: 1187mg | Potassium: 671mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 824IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 3mg
I am already getting my mouth watered by only seeing how delicious its looking. I would for sure give it a try.