This chicken curry soup recipe is comfort in a bowl and perfect served with pillowy naan bread for an easy, wholesome meal.
Curry in every way, shape or form is one of my absolute favorite meals of all time. i just can’t get enough of the rich aromas and flavors of all the spices in the rich sauce. During the colder months, we have curry and soup weekly and sometimes those two overlap. And when it does, it is a beautiful thing let me tell you. This chicken curry soup is going to become a family favorite in no-time.
I’ve been making a variation of this chicken soup recipe for as long as I can remember. Adding warming spices to stocks and stews not only boosts the flavor but also adds so much goodness to the recipe because the benefits of spices are endless. Cinnamon lowers blood sugar, turmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and chilli powder not only revves up your metabolism but the vitamin C in it also helps keep colds and flu at bay by strengthening your immune system. I mean, who doesn’t want all of that (especially in winter)?
I poached the chicken breasts in the soup to keep things easy (I love a good one-pot recipe) and poaching the chicken in the rich, spiced broth develops even more flavor. I bulked the soup with cubes of potato but you could use butternut squash (or other pumpkin), sweet potato, cauliflower or celeriac. If you wanted to add more vegetables the soup any leafy green (hello kale!) or frozen peas would be great.
Serve with a generous dollop of plain yoghurt and pillowy naan bread for dipping and you have the perfect weeknight comfort meal.
Chicken curry soup
- 2 tbsp butter Alternatively use ghee or coconut oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 celery spears finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large leeks finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp crushed ginger
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 6 cups chicken stock 1.5 liters
- 4 chicken breasts de-boned + skinless
- 1 cup cream/coconut milk
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Plain yoghurt For serving
- Fresh coriander/cilantro For serving
- Melt the butter and a splash of oil(optional) in a large pot.
- Add the onion, celery, leek and carrot and fry for 10 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a minute before adding the spices. Stir together.
- Add the potato and fry for another minute before pouring in the chicken stock.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the cream and allow to come to a simmer.
- Add the chicken breasts then cover and allow to simmer for 7-10 mins until the chicken is cooked. Remove from the pot and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the lid back on the pot and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Shred the chicken and add back to the soup. Simmer for 5 minute then season to taste.
- Serve with plain yoghurt and fresh coriander/cilantro.
Soup recipes you will love: