These spicy chicken quesadillas are perfection served with sour cream and 5-minute salsa. If you’re looking for an easy Game Day snack, a quick dinner recipe or something delicious for lunch, you’ve found it!
How to make chicken quesadillas
The beauty with something like quesadillas is that it is the most versatile of recipes. The filling can be made with a variety of different proteins, vegetables and cheeses. This spicy chicken version is made with shredded rotisserie chicken and you can add any vegetables you have in the fridge. (The full recipe can be found in the recipe card below.)
- Make the filling: Combine shredded rotisserie chicken (leftover roast chicken works well too) with sauteed onions and peppers. Season with taco seasoning, chilli flakes or your favorite hot sauce and oregano. Allow to cool then add shredded cheese. I like using a combination of aged (mature) cheddar and mozzarella for all the cheesy pulls.
- How to cook quesadillas: Heat a large pan over medium heat. Place a large flour tortilla in the pan then add some of the chicken filling to half of the tortilla then fold over to cover. To help the cheese melt evenly, place a lid on the pan. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on the bottom, then carefully flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side until golden brown and until all the cheese has melted.
- Serving suggestion: Remove the quesadilla from the pan and slice into 3-4 wedges. Serve with sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
What cheese to use for quesadillas
Any cheese that melts well will work in a quesadilla. Cheddar is great for adding flavor while mozzarella gives you that delicious, melty cheese pull. Monterey Jack, Queso Asadero and even Gouda will be delicious.
What to serve with quesadillas
Easy Mexican recipes
- Crispy fish tacos with hot sauce crema
- Rotisserie chicken enchiladas
- Easy spicy shrimp tacos
- Rotisserie chicken nachos
For the filling
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeds removed, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1-2 tsp jalapeno finely chopped (to taste)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1-2 tbsp taco seasoning (to taste)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander / cilantro finely chopped
For the quesadillas
- 4 large flour tortillas
- Sour cream
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan then saute the onion, bell peppers, garlic and jalapeno for 2-3 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the seasonings and cook for another minute.
- Add the shredded chicken and stir to coat the chicken in all the aromatics. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. (The filling can be made up to 2 days in advance and kept in a sealed container in the fridge.)
- Once cooled, add the cheese and cilantro/coriander and stir well to combine.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Place one tortilla in the pan, add filling to half of the tortilla then fold over the rest. I like to cook two quesadillas, side-by-side to make cooking time a little quicker.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown on both sides with the cheese completely melted.
- Remove from the pan, allow to cool for a minute then slice into wedges.
- Serve the quesadillas with sour cream, salsa and guacamole for dipping.