Crisp and golden onion and feta cheese fritters with sweet and spicy chilli soy dipping sauce. This recipe is perfect for a starter or as a snack.
Table of Contents
How to make onion fritters
This recipe really couldn’t be simpler and is a great way to use pantry staples. If you don’t have feta cheese, feel free to leave it out. The end result will still be absolutely delicious.
- Start by slicing two large onions (you can use any onion variety for these fritters) into thin slices. Chop another two onions into fine dice. This will give the fritters a little extra texture.
- Make the batter by combining the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and chilli flakes in a bowl.
- Whisk in the water and mix until smooth then stir in the onions and feta cheese (if using).
- Heat a large pot of canola or vegetable oil until hot then fry spoonfuls of the batter for a minute or two until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Carefully remove the cooked fritters from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with any dipping sauce of your choice.
Can I make these fritters ahead?
They really are best when they are freshly fried and crispy so I wouldn’t suggest making them in advance or freezing them. Luckily, they take minutes to make!
Easy fritter recipes
Onion and feta fritters with sweet chilli soy dipping sauce
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- generous pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of chilli flakes optional
- 1½ cups water
- 4 medium white onions
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- canola oil for frying
for the sweet chilli soy dipping sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- dash of fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 red chilli thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove thinly sliced
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger thinly sliced
- Slice 2 of the onions thinly and chop the other two into fine dice.
- To make the batter, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and chilli flakes. Add the water until you have a smooth batter.
- Stir in the onions and feta cheese.
- Heat approximately 2cm of oil in a large frying pan and fry tablespoons of the batter until crisp and golden on both sides. Remove and allow to drain on kitchen paper. Continue until all the batter has been cooked.
- In the meantime, combine all the ingredients for the dipping sauce in a saucepan and allow to boil for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce is the consistency of maple syrup.
- Serve the onion fritters with the dipping sauce.