Table of Contents
- 0.1 These cheesy jalapeño corn fritters are light and crisp and the perfect quick and easy snack or casual appetizer with drinks.
- 1 How to make cheesy corn fritters
- 2 Cheese jalapeño corn fritters
These cheesy jalapeño corn fritters are light and crisp and the perfect quick and easy snack or casual appetizer with drinks.
What is it about sweetcorn? Why is it so damn delicious? I have always loved this humble vegetable but of late I find myself craving it. Simply steamed, slathered in butter, mixed into batter to make a delicious corn bread or roasted in a salad. I am obsessed. My favourite way of all to eat corn however is in a corn fritter. Make me a good corn fritter and I’m yours.
So when this idea popped into my head I was beyond excited and wasted no time getting in the kitchen to whip up a batch. As soon as the corn fritters were cool enough to eat, I practically inhaled one and you guys. Oh, you guys. This was love at first bite. Seriously. Sweet, delicate corn in a light, fluffy batter flavoured with mature cheddar and spicy jalapeños. Heaven, right? The twins dubbed this “one of the most delicious things you’ve ever cooked” and the husband promptly ate +- 12 of them.
These jalapeño corn fritters make the perfect summer snack with drinks (save this one for the next time your hosting someone for a rugby game and helllooooo perfect Superbowl snack and can be made in mini sizes and served with a sweet dipping sauce as a delighful canapé. However you make them and for whatever reason, these will definitely be a hit and you will be praised by your friends and family.
How to make cheesy corn fritters
The great thing about these sweetcorn fritters is that you can use corn in any shape or form. Frozen corn works just as well as freshly shucked corn and so does canned corn. I like adding spicy jalapeños to the batter as I think corn and heat go together SO well and the cheese? Well, cheese just makes everything better, doesn’t it?
You can make the batter a few hours in advance but I would give it a good stir and add a little more milk just before frying if it thickens too much. Fry the corn fritters in a big pot of hot oil until golden brown and you’re done. But be warned, these are seriously the best corn fritters I have ever tasted and they are crazy addictive!
Cheese jalapeño corn fritters
- 6 ears of corn roasted/grilled and kernels cut off the cob
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated mature cheddar
- 1-2 jalapeños finely chopped
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and smoked paprika.
- In a measuring jug/bowl, whisk together the milk and egg.
- Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the corn kernels, cheese and jalapeños.
- Heat enough oil to deep-fry the fritters in a large pot then drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the sizzling oil.
- Fry until golden brown and cooked through then remove and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat until all the batter has been fried.
- Serve with lemon wedges.