Light and fluffy apple fritters stuffed with chunks of juicy, tart apple coated in aromatic Masala sugar is the sweet snack or easy dessert of your dreams.
- Apples. I used Granny Smith apples but any crisp/tart apple will work well.
- Baking powder.
- Vanilla extract.
- Garam Masala.
- Ground ginger.
- Powdered sugar / Icing sugar.
- Oil, for frying.
How to make apple fritters
- Make the batter: These are not the usual yeasted apple fritters. This recipe is much quicker to make. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in milk, egg and vanilla until the batter is smooth and thick. Peel 6 large Granny Smith apples and chop into small cubes. Fold the chopped apple into the batter.
- Fry the fritters: Heat canola or any other neutral oil in a large pot. Fry spoonfuls of the batter in the oil, turning them over to allow them to turn golden brown on both sides. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Make the batter and masala sugar: While the fritters are frying, combine caster sugar with masala spice, ground ginger and cinnamon. I use a mild Garam Masala but you can use any curry spice mix you like. Whisk milk and icing/powdered sugar together until smooth. Once fried, drizzle the glaze over the fritters and sprinkle with the spiced sugar.
Can I make apple fritters ahead?
They are best eaten fresh but to make the process a little simpler, make the batter up to an hour ahead and cover with plastic wrap. Stir well before frying.
What to serve with apple fritters
These fritters are delicious on their own but to make them more of a dessert, serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Spiced apple muffins with honey butter
- Chai spiced oatmeal with caramelized apples
- Easy caramel apple puff galette
Apple fritters with Masala-spiced sugar
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp oil
- 5 apples peeled and chopped
- oil for frying
for the spiced sugar
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- Heat enough oil to deep-fry the fritters in a saucepan/pot.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Whisk the liquid into the dry ingredients then fold in the apples.
- Fry spoonfuls of the mixture in the hot oil until golden brown and cooked through.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Combine the ingredients for the spiced sugar then coat the fritters in the sugar.
- Serve immediately.