Table of Contents
- 0.1 Easy kale and feta fritters is a delicious way to use kale. They’re perfect as an easy snack or appetizer and make great lunchbox fillers.
- 1 How do you make fritters?
- 2 Kale and feta fritters
- 3 Fritter recipes
Easy kale and feta fritters is a delicious way to use kale. They’re perfect as an easy snack or appetizer and make great lunchbox fillers.
These kale and feta fritters happened a while ago when I needed to use a big bunch of kale that I had left over in my fridge. Fritters are a fantastic way to use up the last scraps of vegetables and are fantastic as an easy lunch, delicious snack or simple appetizer.
Because I use kale in much the same way as I do spinach, I knew feta cheese would be a perfect match. I love the creamy, salty cheese with vegetables like spinach, kale, cauliflower and broccoli. I served the fritters with a spicy, creamy dip made with sour cream, mayonnaise and a spoon of chilli paste. So dippable and delicious.
How do you make fritters?
Making good fritters is so easy. They are pretty much just pancakes with added ingredients. I like super fluffy fritters that are stuffed to the brim with vegetables, cheese and other flavorings. I make fritter batter with flour, eggs, a small amount of oil to keep them super soft and fluffy inside and a good seasoning of salt, pepper and herbs.
Mixing the batter until the ingredients are just combined assures the batter doesn’t get overworked and will also result in delicious tender fritters.
If you want crispy fritters, fry them in oil until golden brown and crisp. Alternatively, cook them in the same way you would pancakes in a large, non-stick pan.
Kale and feta fritters
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
For the fritter batter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½-1 cup milk
For the dipping sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1-2 tbsp chilli paste
- lemon juice to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the kale, onion and garlic in a splash of olive oil until the kale is cooked. Season to taste and allow to cool.
- To make the fritters, whisk together all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl/jug, combine all the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Stir in the kale mixture and crumbled feta cheese.
- Cook spoonfuls of the batter in a hot frying pan (if you want crispy fritters, fry them in oil) until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Remove from the pan and continue until all the batter has been used.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients.
- Serve the fritters with the dipping sauce.