This egg in a hole bacon grilled cheese breakfast sandwich with cheddar is by far the most fantastic way to start your day.
We love a good grilled cheese sandwich in this house. From creamy mushrooms to bacon and brie, we love ’em all. But this one, wowza. This is one good sandwich. Bacon and egg is always a good idea but when you sandwich the egg in between two slices of bread the yolk can often burst and that’s just a bummer. That’s why making an egg in a hole for the top layer of the grilled cheese is so genius. You get a perfectly done egg, crispy bread, gooey cheese AND crispy bacon. Guys. No really. It doesn’t come any better than this bad boy.
How to make an egg in a hole grilled cheese
- Bacon: I like cooking the bacon in the oven to get it to the perfect crispy texture. You can of course cook it on the stove too.
- Bread: I use thick slices of white bread but feel free to use any bread you prefer. Use a cookie cutter or glass and cut a hole out of the top slice of bread. Toast both slices of bread in a large pan, flipping the slice with the hole to ensure the outside is toasted. I like to add the cheese and bacon to the bottom slice the moment the bread goes into the pan to allow the cheese sufficient time to melt.
- Egg: Once the top slice has been flipped, add an egg into the hole. Season with salt and pepper than cover with a lid. Allow to cook until done to your preference then carefully plate the top slice onto the bacon and cheese. Remove from the pan, slice and serve.
- Breakfast pancake board
- Healthy blueberry muffins
- Cheesy bacon potato breakfast casserole
- Easy breakfast egg crêpes
Grilled cheese recipes
- Creamed spinach grilled cheese sandwich
- Bacon jalapeno grilled cheese
- Mushroom grilled cheese
- Bacon Brie grilled cheese
Egg in a hole bacon grilled cheese
- 6 strips streaky bacon
- 4 slices bread of your choice
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon to your preference then set aside.
- Using a round cookie cutter or a glass, cut rounds out of two slices of bread. Butter both sides of bread as well as the circle cut-outs.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Place the bread in the pan, topping the bottom slices with cheese and bacon. Toast both sides of the bread with the holes cut out as well as both sides of the cut-outs.
- Once the top sides are flipped, gently break the eggs into the holes. Season with salt and pepper then cover the pan and allow the egg to cook to your preference.
- Once cooked, gently place the egg in the hole bread on top of the bacon and cheese.
- Remove from the pan, allow to rest for 1-2 minutes then slice and serve.