Crispy, crunchy cornflake chicken baked until golden is the perfect recipe for family dinner, served with creamy mashed potatoes and gravy.
I have been making this easy cornflake chicken for as long as I can remember. It’s the perfect healthy-ish dinner when my kids ask for fried chicken and is so much easier than making fried chicken from scratch. I love how the corn flakes go super crispy. Seasoning the crumbs with all the usual fried chicken seasonings means that this tastes just as good as its fried alternative. Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy, greens, coleslaw or corn and you’ll have nothing but empty plates.
How to make cornflake chicken
The most important thing about making the best cornflake chicken is to season the crumbs generously. Blend corn flakes, smoked paprika, dried oregano, dried thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, chilli powder, salt and pepper together in a blender. Season bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and drumsticks with salt then coat in seasoned flour. Press the flour into all the nooks and crannies of the chicken to make sure that the entire surface is covered. Coat the chicken in beaten egg and finally in the corn flake crumbs. Place the chicken on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Place in a preheated oven and allow to bake for 30-45 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the oven and serve.
What to serve with cornflake chicken
- Garlic parmesan mashed potatoes
- Creamy condensed milk potato salad
- Easy spicy garlic roasted broccoli
Crispy chicken recipes
Baked cornflake chicken
- 4 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on)
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 2 cups flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 large eggs beaten
For the cornflake crumbs
- 3 cups corn flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Combine the corn flakes and spices in a food processor and blend until fine. Place the crumbs in a large, flat bowl.
- Place flour into another flat bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs into a third bowl.
- Season the chicken with salt then cover in the seasoned flour. Coat in the beaten egg next followed by the seasoned crumbs. Make sure the chicken is well covered at every step.
- Place the chicken on a wire rack set over a baking dish/sheet.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve with side dishes of your choice.