Let me tell you something, eggs are flipping glorious little things. But you would’ve probably guessed that already if you’re a regular reader of my blog. I use them whenever I possibly can because I just can’t get enough. They are so versatile, marry so well with so many different flavours and are cheap and nutritious to boot. What more could you ask for? I have vowed to make myself and C a proper, nutritious breakfast every day and even though I like poached eggs with avo on toast, I can’t have it every day. However, I also know that there’s no better thing to start your day with than eggs so I’ve been trying to get creative and that’s when I stumbled upon this idea. I absolutely adore eggs Florentine (pretty much Eggs Benedict where the ham/bacon is substituted for spinach) and used this idea along with one of my other favourites, Huevos Rancheros (eggs cooked in a spicy tomato sauce) to create this spectacular dish. What I love so much about baked eggs is that all the components can be assembled and prepped in advance and you simply crack the eggs into the base before baking. It is the perfect solution to cooking for a crowd whether it’s for an early breakfast, a lazy brunch or a casual supper. There’s something incredibly indulgent about a perfectly cooked egg, nestled in a bed of creamy spinach flavoured with chorizo and feta cheese. And then you pierce the yolk with your fork and that creamy, yellow yolk mixes with the spinach and you just have nirvana. Like, seriously. Who could resist? Add lots of crust bread and you have a breakfast fit for kings.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 x 200g chorizo, cubed
- 800g (2 large bags) baby spinach, washed and dried
- ½-3/4 cup cream
- 1 cup feta cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 eggs per person
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- Fry the onion and garlic in a large frying pan until soft and translucent.
- Add the chorizo and fry until golden brown.
- Add the spinach and allow to wilt before pouring in the cream. Allow to cook for 5 minutes until the spinach is cooked and the cream has reduced slightly.
- Add the feta, lemon juice and seasoning.
- With a spoon, make hollows in the mixture and break in the eggs.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper then place the pan in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 5-8 minutes (or until the eggs are done to your preference).
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.