We love this creamy corn casserole recipe. It’s the perfect side dish for the holidays but easy enough make for weeknight dinners.
Table of Contents
- Canned Cream-style sweet corn/creamed corn. You could use half cream-style corn and half whole kernel corn (fresh, frozen or canned corn kernels) if you want a chunkier casserole.
- Baking powder.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Cayenne pepper.
- Garlic powder.
- Sour cream.
- Cheddar cheese. I used sharp cheddar cheese but any good melting cheese will work. Monterey Jack, gouda, gruyere, mozzarella or Swiss cheese will all be delicious.
- Variations: Add sautéed bacon, onions or garlic. Fresh herbs like sage, thyme or chives will also be delicious.
How to make Corn Casserole
Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream-style corn, eggs and sour cream. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry mixture then mix together until combined. Stir in the cheese. Grease a 13x9inch (22x33cm) casserole dish/baking dish (a skillet works too) with butter or non-stick cooking spray then add the batter. Place in a preheated oven and allow to bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewers inserted comes out clean and the casserole is golden brown on top. Brush with melted butter (optional) then serve.
Can I make this ahead?
The creamed corn casserole recipe can be baked up to 6 hours in advance then covered with foil. Reheat in the oven for 10 minutes before serving. Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
This is the perfect Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter side dish so serving it with turkey, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts and green bean casserole is perfect. We also love it with roast chicken or pork chops for weeknight dinner.
More main dishes to serve with corn casserole
- Salt and pepper pork belly with perfect crispy crackling
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Apricot apple glazed ham
Blend canned corn with 1/4 cup of the canning liquid if you can’t find canned cream-style corn.
You could use half cream-style corn and half whole kernel corn (fresh, frozen or canned) if you want a chunkier casserole.
Corn casserole is definitely more moist than cornbread and should have a soft almost creamy crumb and texture.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of garlic powder
- 28 oz (800g) canned cream-style sweet corn/creamed corn
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Grease a 9x13inch (22x33cm) casserole dish with melted butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, corn, butter and sour cream.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture then mix together. Fold in the shredded cheese.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish then place in the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the casserole is golden brown on top and creamy but cooked through in the center (a toothpick inserted can come out with moist crumbs but shouldn't be coated in wet batter).
- Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter (optional) then serve.