Juicy lemon roasted chicken flavored with thyme and garlic is the most delicious, easiest way to cook a whole chicken. This recipe is also fantastic to make ahead as the leftovers are fantastic on everything from salads to sandwiches.
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Whole chicken.
- Whole garlic bulbs.
- Fresh thyme. Other herbs that work well are fresh rosemary, sage, oregano and parsley.
- Olive oil. Butter can be substituted.
- Salt and pepper.
- Chicken stock.
How to make lemon roasted chicken
- Season the chicken: Drizzle the chicken with olive oil then season generously with salt and pepper all over. Make sure to season the cavity of the chicken as well. Place lemon slices and thyme (or other fresh herbs) inside the chicken cavity and sprinkle thyme leaves over the chicken.
- Roast the chicken: Slice the lemons and the tops off of the garlic bulbs. Place them in a roasting pan or oven proof dish then place the chicken on top. Pour the chicken stock around the chicken then cover with foil. Place in a preheated oven and roast for 30 minutes then remove the foil and roast for another 15-30 minutes or until the chicken skin is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through.
- Allow to rest then serve: Allow the chicken to rest for at least 10 minutes then slice and serve, drizzled with the pan juices.
Do you cover a chicken when roasting?
I prefer covering the chicken with foil while roasting to make sure the skin doesn’t burn. I also find it keeps the chicken juicier. Uncover for the last 15-30 minutes of roasting to allow the chicken skin to crisp up and turn a lovely golden color before removing from the oven.
What temperature is chicken done?
Chicken is cooked when a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken thigh reads 165ºF/74ºC. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, make a cut between the drumstick and chicken breast. If the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked and can be removed from the oven. Remember that allowing the chicken to rest for 10 minutes after cooking will allow it to continue cooking so taking it out when it’s very almost at 165ºF/74ºC will allow it to be perfectly cooked when you carve it.
What to serve with lemon roasted chicken
Roast chicken recipes
Easy lemon roasted chicken
- 1 whole chicken (approximately 1.5kg/3lbs)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp flaky sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 lemons
- 2 garlic bulbs
- small handful thyme
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil then season generously with salt and pepper all over.
- Make sure to season the cavity of the chicken as well.
- Place lemon slices and thyme inside the cavity of the chicken and sprinkle thyme leaves over the chicken.
- Slice the lemons and the tops off of the garlic bulbs. Place them in a roasting dish then place the chicken on top.
- Pour the chicken stock around the chicken then cover with foil.
- Place in the preheated oven and roast for 30 minutes then remove the foil and roast for another 15-30 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow the chicken to rest for at least 10 minutes then slice and serve, drizzled with the pan juices.
Where are all the carbs coming from?
From the lemons. A whole lemon has 10g of Carbs and as there are 3 used, the total recipe has around 30g of carbs but of course, since you won’t be eating the lemons your intake of carbs will be much less.